T1N 4x4 gear box/transfer box alignment

Hi I came across the post below on MB forum ... ('ve been trying to find the info/pictures it mentions but failed... can anybody help? I've got 2001 sprinter 311

Its a common issue on the 4x4 T1N, its caused by a very slight miss alignment of the gearbox to transfer case join. You need that to be exactly perfectly straight, by moving the transfer case.

Go to this sprinter forum (the Australian section, USA didn't get the 4x4) and search for 4x4 and you will find the solution with photos...
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91

Eric Experience

Mark.
That mod does make a big improvement, but since that time I have a simpler and better solution. After realizing the problem is caused by the rear cross member being pushed up by idiots jacking up vehicle under the cross member I found its simpler to reduce the height of the aluminium block that supports the rear of the gear box. If you remove the block and the cut about 15mm of its height then replace it you will improve the angle on the drive shaft. The nylon tubes do not have oil in them, just vacuum or brake fluid. Eric.

Top Bottom