2003 Sprinter Injector Connector?

pegasus06

Appa Driver
My 2003 Sprinter passenger version is experiencing Hard Start, Stall and No Start. First mechs changed fuel filter and sent me on my way. 2wks later stalled on the wifey on the way home. Had it towed to Dodge City of McKinney (just north of Dallas) insisted I ran it out of gas, that's why it had air in the lines. They bled the system and sent me on my way. Three days later it dies again. They towed it in. First they told me "our tech doesn't like the look of the fuel in the tank" so we need to pull the tank and check it out. Days later the answer is well that didn't turn up and they asked me if and when I had the PCM changed? I told them "oh a few months ago and they changed it!" Took them a few minutes of "reviewing" my work history and they found it.:bash: Said well it must be something electrical they'd get back to me. Then they came up with a bad fuel injector connector, which they say is obsolete and they can't get it unless I want to pay $3K for a complete engine wiring harness. Their answer is they want to cut off the connector and have me to go to a junk yard and get the part and bring it to them.:hmmm: Anyone ever heard of injector connector going bad and the dealership computer NOT being able to diagnose it, and the tech troubleshooting by hand with a multimeter? I'm doubt they really have a true MB Sprinter computer. I called the local MB house and they won't touch pre-2007.
I've been looking for the connector online. I've come up with 05103931AA at factorychryslerparts.com. My old mech lost access the factory sprinter computer and I cant find a DAD available for purchase anywhere. From the forums I've hit the "water in fuel sensor" or possibly the "preheater valve" on the back of the fuel filter. HELP???:drool:

lindenengineering

My 2003 Sprinter passenger version is experiencing Hard Start, Stall and No Start. First mechs changed fuel filter and sent me on my way. 2wks later stalled on the wifey on the way home. Had it towed to Dodge City of McKinney (just north of Dallas) insisted I ran it out of gas, that's why it had air in the lines. They bled the system and sent me on my way. Three days later it dies again. They towed it in. First they told me "our tech doesn't like the look of the fuel in the tank" so we need to pull the tank and check it out. Days later the answer is well that didn't turn up and they asked me if and when I had the PCM changed? I told them "oh a few months ago and they changed it!" Took them a few minutes of "reviewing" my work history and they found it.:bash: Said well it must be something electrical they'd get back to me. Then they came up with a bad fuel injector connector, which they say is obsolete and they can't get it unless I want to pay $3K for a complete engine wiring harness. Their answer is they want to cut off the connector and have me to go to a junk yard and get the part and bring it to them.:hmmm: Anyone ever heard of injector connector going bad and the dealership computer NOT being able to diagnose it, and the tech troubleshooting by hand with a multimeter? I'm doubt they really have a true MB Sprinter computer. I called the local MB house and they won't touch pre-2007.
I've been looking for the connector online. I've come up with 05103931AA at factorychryslerparts.com. My old mech lost access the factory sprinter computer and I cant find a DAD available for purchase anywhere. From the forums I've hit the "water in fuel sensor" or possibly the "preheater valve" on the back of the fuel filter. HELP???:drool:
OK
No big deal here
For starters a new harness is $750 and there is about 4 hours tops to change it on a 2002/2003 model.
On these year models I/We have changed about 4 of them last year.
None yet this year! Reason?

The harness just de-grades and causes driveability problems like you are getting.

In short and without going into too much "technical", MB likes using "twisted pairs principal" to cancel out interference and noise in circuits. Over time the harness wires abrade against each other and cause internal short downs in the harness. (English/American/Japanese approach is to screen it!)

Yes it is a recognized method to check a harness integrity with a DVOM.
A scan will often show a high pressure cut out or open circuit fault based CEL.

Now if the socket is simply bad, and won't latch it will slip back, break the connection on the injector and the PCM will sense the electrical overload in the internal injector driver and cut driver power on these early models and you get a stall/No start!

You can get the socket NEW and the pigtails from MB parts. Cost about $15 the lot.
The Dodge system has problems finding such stuff--I know that from experience!
You will need a special tool to replace that socket, we in the trade buy them from tool sales trucks or on line. (Like Snap On etc ).
Look you don't need a DAD lap top based scan tool to diagnose this. A simple Snap On Solus tool will handle most of the problems on these older beasts.
As your repair shop has mentioned you can on the other hand get a used one from a discarded harness or a wrecking yard.
The socket is the same on all later models.
Simply cut it off the donor making a repair pigtail section , solder and shrink wrap a new one in place and you are fixed 'til the next time.

If you hit a brick wall with the dealer and still can't find one I can supply you with a repair end. Have your shop or yourself call me, I have lots of 'em.

Our shop policy is to save all good sockets and create repair sections from discarded harnesses, simple expediency to recover harnesses that are on their last legs or repair a connection . Maybe like yours!:thinking:

All the best and remember this TIN (903/904) van is SO easy to fix!--No Bellerophon's myths here-- bloody marvelous rig!
Dennis

Last edited:

talkinghorse43

For starters a new harness is $750 and there is about 4 hours tops to change it on a 2002/2003 model.
I was charged $314.96 for a new engine wiring harness (A9015402107) when my FTL dealer replaced it (I requested it based on the good Doktor's recommendation) while doing the intake manifold recall at the beginning of '15.

lindenengineering

I was charged $314.96 for a new engine wiring harness (A9015402107) when my FTL dealer replaced it (I requested it based on the good Doktor's recommendation) while doing the intake manifold recall at the beginning of '15.
Yes a while ago the Dodge boys were selling the harness for that money, I bought several as a fervent capitalist .
BUT
They have got wiser now and the price is about $80 more than the MB dealer.:thumbdown:
Good things don't last forever Dammit!
Dennis

clydedillman

Yes a while ago the Dodge boys were selling the harness for that money, I bought several as a fervent capitalist .
BUT
They have got wiser now and the price is about $80 more than the MB dealer.:thumbdown:
Good things don't last forever Dammit!
Dennis
Do you have a injector wiring harness for a 2003 Dodge sprinter van

Top Bottom