Towing with 4cyl 144"

4banger

Thinking about getting a light camper 2900lbs, I know the tow rating is 5000. Just wondering if anyone had any experience towing with the 4cyl good bad or otherwise

sailquik

4banger,
The OM-651 Inline 4 cylinder 2.143 liter 2 stage turbocharged /7G-Tronic 7 speed transmission Sprinter is FAR superior to the OM-642 3.0 liter V6/5G-Tronic-NAG-1 for towing
any trailer within the CGVWR of the Sprinter.
If you plan to tow a lot, order the 4.182 :1 rear differential ratio as this gives the mighty little OM-651 a little better gear ratio for towing.
Unlike the 5G-Tronic-NAG-1 the 7G-Tronic does all the shifting for you.
You can manually downshift if you like but the mighty little OM-651 makes much better power down in the 1400-2400 RPM range.
It's original design goal was to have the max. efficiency/performance/longevity right at 1900 RPM, so if you stay within 500 RPM of that RPM
you get great fuel economy/pretty darn good performance/ and basically trouble free longevity (at least in mine @ 87,000 miles since 9/24/2013.
Towing fuel mileage with the OM-651 is about the same as the OM-642, but when you aren't towing the OM-651 gets significantly better (23 vs 19 mpg) fuel mileage,
even with the 4.182: gear ratio in a 516 series (3500 USA) 4325mm/170" wheelbase high top Sprinter with a normal weight of 7,000 lbs.
Get the 170" wheelbase short back/high top and you get the 7,500 lb./750 lb. Tongue weight towing rating.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:

draaronr

Any pics how it is attached to the roof ? Link where you bought it ...
I bought the roof rails from Euro Campers. I do a lot of paddle boarding and figured for long trip only I would put them up top that's the only time I would put them up there as it's a long climb. I made the brackets from parts for sale at Lowes, used a grinder and cut off wheel, and a drill to make them and the lights I ordered off of amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NXL4NDS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

For my regular trips to the beach I can easily mount 2 boards inside. I used some o ring mounts and anchored them to the cross beams up top. the fins of the boards keep them from moving and are safely stowed.

I primarily use this truck as a daily driver and for long road trips so I wanted it quiet, the whole interior with exception of the floor I removed and put fatmat on the metal the layered Jute behind it. I also poly filled any cavities. Now you can be in the front doing 70mph and have a comfortable conversation with my kids in the back row. I upgraded to JL speakers and added 6 power outlets, folding cupholders and a fridge/freezer into the truck. I changed the windows for the CRL style with vents so that when I take short trips, I remove the back 2 rows, throw down the air mattress, pop the vents and sleep comfortable and bug free

Attachments

Trayscott

I have about 9k miles towing this set up. it s a 2014 4cyl I get about 14.2 mpg towing. I drive 70mph though
I've got nothing less than 13.75 towing my old and heavier Rockwood Roo with my long and tall 2008. 65 usually. I'm on the cheap with a used Ryder cargo, 254000 so far.

draaronr

I've got nothing less than 13.75 towing my old and heavier Rockwood Roo with my long and tall 2008. 65 usually. I'm on the cheap with a used Ryder cargo, 254000 so far.
I've concluded that for mileage its more about the wind resistance than the weight. The tall sprinters really cut the air flow for the camper, as you see in my pic it's the same profile height. I just cant' drop to 60-65 I do for fun and my mileage will go up to like 17-17.5 but it kills me to drive that slow :bash:

Trayscott

I think mine is a little heavier. Afraid to weigh it. 20 foot without the tents out with a slide out. Mine is tuned as well by Green Diesel who is just a few minutes north of me. Tows great. Currently well over 210 horse and really feels good compared to stock. Just r&r'ed a leaking injector and put pulleys, tensioner and alternator on it. Ahh the life of a well used sprinter.

Top Bottom