Engine wiring harness removal through firewall??

Hi Folks, about to yank my 647 engine. I thought I could remove it with the wiring harness intact however once the connector is disconnected from the computer, it doesn't fit through the hole in the firewall (makes me understand why a salvage yard might just cut it). Anyone know if the connector itself will disassemble?

Edit: Should have originally said OM647 for this 2005 T1N

Last edited:

Didn't I read somewhere that at one time the Ladsden assemblers used a steel hook to pull the harness out from the cabin into the engine bay? Apparently the steel hook caused some harness problems when not properly employed and was subsequently replaced with another method.

Can the harness be pulled back into the cabin to avoid messing with the ECM connectors? My preference would be to not muck around with the ECM connectors.

Added: Nevermind. He wants to leave the harness attached to the engine. Maybe Ladsden did it the other direction too? :idunno:

:2cents: vic

Last edited:

lindenengineering

Vic
This ain't rocket science but if you haven't done it before a bit of a "fandango" as my late dad ( a mechanic most of his life except the war years ) would express it.

Its very easy to install the loose harness or remove it from the power-pack on the floor.
This is especially so when dealing with the earlier 2002/2004 engines.
Then its simply shove the powerpack into the frame, connect up and plug in the harness through the firewall.
This is so easy these days with sockets!
It wasn't so long ago (need I remind you) that all the loose wires had to be threaded through holes in the bulkhead and then connected up under the dash.
This would take hours sometimes! Old series Landrovers come to mind!~

Of course success depends upon approach attitude before you start and some knowledge.
Wiring harnesses!
It can be a work of art when all bundled up and wrapped zip tied or simply a rats nest! :laughing:
Works of art no less!
Well nothing better in some cases, making /repairing a harness with a bit of music in the shop.
Going back to my dad's Fandango expression here is one of my favorite pieces by Boccherini when concentrating on a job.
If you have the time observe the art work at about 8 minutes through the piece and the two ladies called The Majas by Francisco Goya.
Guaranteed to put a bounce in your step and doubling yourself up under the dash!
:cheers:Dennis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CEJkj34fbU

doug022984

Sporadic Member Since 2015
Hi, I'm pulling my engine as well and am stuck at this point too. Does that connector just pull off the back of the ECM or is it retained somehow like with clips? Kinda working by feel since I can't fit my large head up behind the footwell to see what I'm doing. I read that the ECM just pops out in the manual, but mine won't budge and don't want to force it, so trying to just pull the connector off without removing the ECM.

lindenengineering

There are two iterations and are a bit of a "fandango" to remove until you get the hang of it--like dancing the fandango !~Or tango for that matter!
On early Sprinters there are four small square connectors which have pull down handles for want of a better description, which when pulled down auto eject the socket from the PCM.

The later units have two black connectors one of which is the engine harness.
It has a slide style rail like a drawer--there are mini finger pull indentations at the extreme ends which you pull and it will auto eject the socket from the PCM.

Once disconnected you will have to pry the sides of the pull slide to detach it from the socket body and this will allow you to pass the harness through the fire wall.
On all T1N Sprinters the PCM is merely clipped up and a gentle tug forward & down should pull it out for better access to the sockets.
Hope that helps
Dennis

slowgsr

I pulled the worn harness out of my 06 last night! Disconnecting from the computer was fairly easy, but I too couldn't fit it through the firewall. I just took a carbide burr and englarged a portion of the firewall hole, the grommet still fits and I didn't have to disassemble the clip, which I would have if I knew it wasn't that hard.

The engine was already out, and I want to install my new harness on the new engine prior to dropping it in.

The new harness had the clip disassembled on the ecu side, so ill have to put my old one onto it. Its near perfect shape compared to my old one which had damage due to black death. However on both harnesses I noticed no wear from abrasion.

These harnesses come out much easier then I remember the older cars from years earlier.

doug022984

Sporadic Member Since 2015
Thanks for the info Dennis. After your explanation, it was definitely quite easy to pull the connector from the back of the PCM (I have a 2004 with the "drawer style" mechanism you described). Getting the slide mechanism separated from the socket body was still a little challenging, but I eventually got it. Attached are some pictures for others of where I successfully pried to separate the two.

Attachments

Top Bottom