Ticking noise from transmission

sgmullins

2005 sprinter standard roof with 170,000 miles. Been having a hard time getting the van to drive for a few weeks now. Re-occuring CEL showing P25029(transmission slip), P0730 (incorrect gear ration) and a few other glow plug codes.

Problem is the van will not shift into any gears consistently. Sometime I can get a reverse and sometimes I can get a drive but the van wont budge until the pedal is floored and the RPM are way up.

Did some reading and led me to clean the TCM. Cleaned the TCM and replaced and the van immediately drove around just fine. Parked it and the next day it would not find a gear and has stayed that way now.

Started it up this morning and after about 10 seconds of idling and trying to shift into drive I hear a loud ticking noise from under the floor. Crawled under the van it it seems to be coming from the transmission.

Anyone ever had a loud ticking noise from their transmission before?

sgmullins

Ticking noise gradually increases in speed after idling for about a minute. Ticking will get going pretty fast and then just stop after about 1.5 minutes. After it stops it will not happen again for about another 20 seconds and then start all over again.

If I put the van in drive it will rev until about 2500 rpm and then suddenly fly into gear and boost forward.

sgmullins

More info: When hooked up to a scanner, I shift into drive, Get a reading of "target gear: 1 Actual gear: N" Shift into reverse same thing "Target gear: R Actual gear N"

Voltage to valves 14 v
1-2, 2-3 and 4-5 shift solenoid "Not Active"
3-4 shift solenoid "Active"

Supply to Voltage Sensors: 6 volts
RPM sensor 2 : 403 RPM
RPM Sensor 3: 0 RPM

Trying to find out what all of this means to narrow down the issue. Cleaned the TCM again today but it did not result in being able to drive.

sgmullins

That is the next step once the weather warms up a bit. I have checked the level and it looks good, though I cant get the engine warm enough to do a true check and I am parked at an angle on the drive way.

Top Bottom