Swivel seat rocks side-to-side

seans

I got my Sportscraft swivel seat in 2009, right after I got the van. Last week, after running in the van about 130,000 miles, I noticed that the seat was rocking side-to-side.

It's possible that the big seat nut loosened a little, but what was odd was that it was not rocking front to back.

I've taken the seat off and inspected the rollers, which appear fine. But an right angle placed along the seat base shows bending from left to right. I can stack 3 dimes beneath the straight edge on both the top and bottom pieces due to the left-to-right bending. There is a little front-to-back bending but it is not appreciable.

The swivel is secured by bolts along the left and right edges (at least the top is) but not along the front and back. It seems that 130,000 miles of vibration have gradually worked a curvature into the upper and lower base.

Not sure what I am going to do, but I wanted to let others know. It is staying off the van because the rocking is impacting my steering. I really miss the extra 2" of lift it provided. It made the van much more comfortable to drive.
seat1.jpg
seat2.jpg
seat3.jpg
seat4.jpg

EEOORR

Hi,

I sell SC in the UK. Whilst the failure rate is extremely low, I've only come across one failure which is what your experiencing. Rather than sent it back to Germany for warranty exchange I fixed it my self by bending the plate slightly using a hydraulic press.

In the case I had, the rocking was only in one plane, so had to tweak it appropriately.

Now I'm in post mode, I can't see where your based, however if your in the UK and willing to call by, I'll tweak your plate free of charge.

Top Bottom