Paint Quality: Free, Premium and Metallic

mattyj

Trying to decide on color for a new 2016 sprinter. I don't want to pay extra just for a "nicer" color, but am happy to do so for a higher quality paint job given all the rust issues mentioned here. Scouring this forum has turned up lots of opinions, some of them conflicting, and some probably outdated. Can anyone provide more up-to-date facts and/or speculation?

There are three price levels:

* "Standard Non-Metallic Color", for free. Would not be choosing white, which I know has the most rust issues.
* "Premium Non-Metallic Color", for $620.
* "Premium Metallic Color", for $990.

Do all of the standard colors still lack a clear coat, or just white? What about premium non-metallic? Where is the cutoff between paying for quality vs a fancier color and/or metallic sparkly bits?

Thanks in advance.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
I will be interested in seeing what people say about this.

Note, though, that MB claims to have revamped their Sprinter paint/rustproofing process starting in MY2014. If this is true, then data before and after that date would be apples and oranges, and it is still a bit early to have much field data on the latter.

danski0224

All non metallic colors lack a clear coat.

A service manager at a local dealer strongly recommended the metallic colors and claimed that the quality was better. Of course, the recommendation could also be based upon the additional up change.

I have a 2008 Dodge Sprinter listed in the for sale section here, it has a premium non metallic color. I have no issues with the paint. I polished the finish and used a clay bar and waxed it. The single stage paint will require more frequent maintenance than clear coat.

Non metallic colors will be far easier to match and blend in. Clear coat can fail. The color coat in a base/clear system is much thinner than the clear coat.

The rust issues with my Sprinter stem from poor quality in the process before paint, the plastic exterior molding clips and the single screw used to hold the end of the plastic exterior trim. Oh, and $hitty design of the rear wheel well pinch weld location and lack of a splash/debris shield- this continues in current Sprinters and the Transit and Promaster.

I would choose the color that you like or want. I doubt that a clear will buy you anything extra.

The clear is needed to protect the aluminum flakes in the metallic from oxidation.

Last edited:

Boogieman

Simple Simon

I would choose the color that you like or want. I doubt that a clear will buy you anything extra.

The clear is needed to protect the aluminum flakes in the metallic from oxidation.
exactly what I thought . . the "quality" in terms of rust proofing is the same on both . . the metallic is really just for looks . . :2cents:

danski0224

I did wind up with a silver van this time simply because almost nothing but white, silver or black cargo 170" vans are on the lots. If I ordered one, it was a toss up between brilliant or vanda blue. I didn't want white.

KentuckyWR

I was told by the dealer that the paint process they started using in 2014 was the same 7-step process they use on their $100K+ cars. Additionally, they pointed out that there is a "wax-based" coating inside the body panels and that it will drip (especially on hot days) through the little weep holes. The undercoating on mine is the most robust I've ever seen on any vehicle.

GreatNW

I chose Tenorite Grey Metallic for my 2016 144 cargo. I like the color, it looks nice, but on both the driver and pass doors there's an imperfection. It seems like a small, congealed glob of paint or foreign matter. Most would never see it or know that it's there, but I'm a detail oriented owner and found it immediately. This has never happened on any vehicle I've ever owned. Also, the oily, waxy stuff MB uses to spray the underside and wherever else, a lot of it ended up on my paint and trim. The dealer did a **** job of detailing the van, so I did and got rid of 99% of it. The dealer will take care of the paint imperfections but the shop they use can't guarantee that it'll turn out perfectly. MB may say they use the same process on our vans as they do their 100K sedans, but I'm skeptical. I'm happy with the color, but something tells me the van division and van owners are treated in a much more industrial fashion as opposed to the build line spitting out 500SL models...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danski0224

I was told by the dealer that the paint process they started using in 2014 was the same 7-step process they use on their $100K+ cars. Additionally, they pointed out that there is a "wax-based" coating inside the body panels and that it will drip (especially on hot days) through the little weep holes. The undercoating on mine is the most robust I've ever seen on any vehicle.
A salesman told me that the entire van is dipped into some sort of primer solution twice. He attended some sort of factory tour. He also commented that the question "What is being done to improve rust resistance" was the number one topic of discussion. I'm guessing that Mercedes is doing "something" to improve the Sprinter.

When I inquired about dealer package rustproofing for the Sprinter, I was told that no one will warranty it because of the rust reputation.

I can only hope that there is some truth to the stated process improvements.

Looking underneath the Sprinter, Transit and Promaster, the Sprinter has the most undercoating applied.

The Transit and Promaster both lack body cavity wax.

Only the Sprinter has front wheel splash shields.

None of these vans have rear wheelhousing splash shields, and all have exposed wheeltub pinch welds facing towards the tire. Only the Promaster has an appreciable built-in deflector to keep the bulk of the debris from hitting the edge of the joint, but that same deflector will act as a debris shelf.

I chose Tenorite Grey Metallic for my 2016 144 cargo. I like the color, it looks nice, but on both the driver and pass doors there's an imperfection. It seems like a small, congealed glob of paint or foreign matter. Most would never see it or know that it's there, but I'm a detail oriented owner and found it immediately. This has never happened on any vehicle I've ever owned. Also, the oily, waxy stuff MB uses to spray the underside and wherever else, a lot of it ended up on my paint and trim. The dealer did a **** job of detailing the van, so I did and got rid of 99% of it. The dealer will take care of the paint imperfections but the shop they use can't guarantee that it'll turn out perfectly. MB may say they use the same process on our vans as they do their 100K sedans, but I'm skeptical. I'm happy with the color, but something tells me the van division and van owners are treated in a much more industrial fashion as opposed to the build line spitting out 500SL models...
The same dealer service manager told me that it takes them hours to detail a Sprinter for delivery, due to the wax overspray on the finish.

My 2008 also had a blob of something in the paint on the sliding door. The spot was oval shaped, about 3/8" x 1/4". I left it alone.

Getting the repair to blend in will be near impossible.

With metallic paint, they will have to spray the entire door with the base coat and then reapply clear coat. You will have tape line edges around things like rubber and door handles and trim- these items are not normally removed. Clearcoat can't be blended in, they have to take it to the next panel, seam or body line that can be taped off.

The *entire* van will have to be masked off to prevent overspray.

The door will then have a uniform appearance, but depending on the light, the door will most likely stand out against adjacent panels due to a difference in how the metallic particles lay down.

Blending in the solid single stage colors is much easier.

Not knowing how noticeable your paint defects are, I'd say to leave them alone. I am doubtful that the repair will be better or worthwhile if the defect is purely cosmetic.

It is possible that a paintless dent repair person could approach it differently and perform a very nice spot blend job. I'd consider that well before doing a traditional body repair.

Last edited:

Boogieman

Simple Simon
A salesman told me that the entire van is dipped into some sort of primer solution twice.

in the picture it's a Vito but you get the idea . . . that's how 99.9% of all cars are dipped these days before the actual paint . . that's where all the "rust proofing" is done in terms of paint quality and this step is exactly the same on all Sprinters, no matter if they shoot a "premium" color over it or just a basic white . .

Attachments

Last edited:

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
Thanks, avanti-- that's the first time I've seen a reasonably detailed explanation of how those safety systems work! (VERY minimal explanations from RT dealer….)

Top Bottom