Driver's Seat to Pedal Issue

DougE

I looked at a 2005 Pleasure Way Sprinter this last weekend. In trying the driver's seat it seemed to me that the seat was too close to the gas pedal and it would be uncomfortable after a few hours. The toilet cubical just behind the driver's seat limited the recline of the seat in it's rear-most position. I'm 5'9" with a 29" inseam so is it just me? What do you guys that are tall think about the Sprinter seating? It turned out there was a barely noticeable crack in the passenger's side of the engine cover so I'd pass on this one anyway, but this seat setup seems to be the norm on many brands.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I'm 5'9.5" with a 29" inseam ... and i find my 2005's seat comfortable ...
There certainly are times when i load something in the back that forces me to push the seat forward from my usual not-all-the-way-back position and indeed, that's not comfy.

But: MB offered three different seats for the T1N: the "standard", the "6-way adjustable" and the "suspension".
I've got the 6-way "Premium Cloth Bucket" seats.

Which seat you have may affect how high/close it feels.

(if there's no swivel on that seat, you could add one, which would add an inch or two of height)

Also be aware of the fact that the steering wheel doesn't tilt(*)... so that "almost a bus driver's wheel" may require being more forward than you're used to, too.

(*) some people do tilt the wheel by using longer bolts and a spacer block to tilt the entire steering column back an inch or two.

good luck
--dick

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Doug,

Are you aware that the squab of the seat slides back and fore in relation to the base and back of the seat? (OK possibly only on some seat styles, our suspension seats both do).

Under the front edge of the seat you may find a small lever which allows the squab to slide, have a look for it.

PS This lever also releases the squab so you can access under the seat without removing any bolts.

Keith.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
OK... i'll bite...

What's a "squab" in this context? The cushion?

I've heard of stool pigeons, but never seat squabs....

--dick (serious question, really)
added: i looked it up... yup, it's an "overstuffed cushion"

Last edited:

DougE

The seat was complex. It had the normal fore and aft movement but you could also raise and lower the front edge and the rear independently. There was also a manual knob for lumbar support in the back cushion. Perhaps some combination of all the adjustments would have give a better result?

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
OK... i'll bite...

What's a "squab" in this context? The cushion?

I've heard of stool pigeons, but never seat squabs....

--dick (serious question, really)
added: i looked it up... yup, it's an "overstuffed cushion"
Hi Dick,

I suppose it's a slang term we use in the UK. The 'Squab' is the part of the sit you sit on. And your definition sums it up pretty well :thumbup:

The Squabs in our T1N definitely slide back and fore by using the small lever under the front as well as the myriad of movements controlled by the large red levers on the side that DougE describes.

Keith.

Hi Dick,

I suppose it's a slang term we use in the UK. The 'Squab' is the part of the sit you sit on. And your definition sums it up pretty well :thumbup:

The Squabs in our T1N definitely slide back and fore by using the small lever under the front as well as the myriad of movements controlled by the large red levers on the side that DougE describes.

Keith.
I thanked you for the new terminology I learned............... Holy cow! yes, that seat adjusts six ways to Sunday, bottom slides in and out to adjust for the length between your butt and your knees, the back tilts, the whole thing slides, the front edge raises and lowers, and there is even a rubber squeeze bulb to inflate the lumbar support!!

After reading this post I went out and examined the seats in my motorhome. I knew there were a lot of knobs there, just had not had time to pay attention to all of them.

Charles

Since acquiring the 2006 I've learned that seats with the red handles on the side come in different flavors.

My 2004 Dodge cargo van with few options (crank windows, manual door locks) has seats with 3 red handles on the sides. They adjust tilt and the seat pan (squab) slides in and out. The seat pan also removes for easier access to the electrics under the seat. Both seats have lumbar support bladders.

The 2006 Freightliner passenger wagon with deluxe trim (power windows, power locks) has only 2 red handles. It appears that the seat pan will not slide in and out or remove for electrics access. The seats do not have the lumbar bladders.

So far I like the 2004 seats better. I'm going to explore how much trouble it will be to swap seat mechanics while keeping the 2006 fabric/cushions. The 2006 fabric is in much better condition.

:2cents: vic

autostaretx

Erratic Member
So here's my passenger seat (easier/safer to shoot):

SeatHandles.jpg

Four handles... plus a black bare wire "bail" across the front for gross whole-seat forward/back,
and a teeny tiny black lever handle up close to the front center of the seat cushion for removing (and perhaps repositioning) the cushion ("squab") itself.
Handy for accessing the under-seat area on the driver's side.

2005 "Deluxe Cloth Bucket Seat"

--dick

Last edited:

seans

In trying the driver's seat it seemed to me that the seat was too close to the gas pedal and it would be uncomfortable after a few hours.
In my opinion, the Sprinters are set up to be driven like you'd sit at your desk in an office, it seems. That means the steering wheel and pedals are closer because you're not reclining. But the seats are a little too low for it to quite work out this way if you don't raise them. I have a swivel seat and I also jack my seat up all the way so my legs can be perpendicular to the floor and it is great. I can easily drive all day in my "office chair" without getting tired.

I love it but sometimes a passenger will not. They expect something more like a passenger car, that envelopes you and in which you can recline. Oh well...

Top Bottom