What would you do?

Just bought my 05 158" for $900. Radiator was leaking and I found a good used one for $20! When I disconnected trans lines, the fluid that came out was pretty dark brown, but did not smell burned. The trans shifts great but does suffer from mild RSN. Previous owner kept great service records has 536 thousand miles. I looked through them and he did trans service at 89k , 211k, and at 339k. So it's been about 200k miles since last service. If I drain the converter and pan do you guys think this will make the fluid to slippery and cause the trans to slip? If so should I do it and maybe add friction modifier? Or should I just let it be and get what I can get out of it?

azzm3

Do the Doktor A rsn fix were u drill the plate on the drivers side of the valve body. Put new fluid and filter and forget about it.

sailquik

ECS,
Change the fluid, drain the TC, change the trans fluid filter, and change the trans electrical connector.
New fluid (if you use the correct fluid per the MB BEVO List) will improve the way your transmission works and
shifts and may eliminate some or all of the RSN.
Do it now!
Roger

Last week I added half a quart of fluid and it pretty much cut RSN in half... I don't have a dipstick so not even sure of fluid level. I read someone did that and worked for them and it also helped me. I'm pretty good working on my own vehicles but drilling a hole in the valve body kind of scares me.. Don't wanna get it wrong.. I've read about it but have not seen any pics of before and after. If I could see that. I'd do it in a second!

azzm3

Well your actually drilling a hole in a removable piece of the valve body. I've drilled more than I could remember worked great.
It's just a metal plate so if it doesn't work out just weld it up, but I never had to do that always cured the ones I worked on.

cahaak

Follow the advice above and do a full tranny service. You can get a dipstick for $10 on ebay. The price for the whole thing will be less than $100 doing it yourself. Highly likely that all RSN will be gone after the tranny service. 200K is a long time between services.

Chris

Bought a couple quarts of trans fluid at the stealership, added half a quart and RSN is greatly reduced... I'm going to do the trans service but at almost $20/quart I can't see spending that... So how many quarts will I need to drain the converter, and pan? Also where is the best/cheapest place to get he fluid?

Is 8 quarts enough? Where can I get an extra quart to keep on hand ? Do shell gas stations carry it?
In my experience 8 quarts is enough for the typical TC, pan drain and filter change.

Shell stations typically do not carry Shell 134 ATF.

You will typically not need to top off. If you need to add because of some leak/emergency the Valvoline MaxLife™ DEX/MERC ATF is formulated to MB236.10 specification. It is readily available and will work just fine.

vic

Top Bottom