Auto Enginuity ScanTool - So Far, So Good!

LassenAle

Just wanted to share my brief experience so far with the Auto Enginuity ST-06 ScanTool. My 2005 T1N w/ 200k miles has been hard to start when hot, and turned on the MIL light. (Runs fine, starts fine cold, and will restart after a moderate period when hot.) I plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time, am very mechanical, and I live two hours from the nearest dealer so the $500 investment didn't bother me. Got the package today, installed with zero issues on my 10 year old laptop running Windows XP, and after a few tries got it to connect with the Sprinter. (Seems to work better if you plug the vehicle in first, and then start the software.) It immediately showed the Cam Sensor fault code, new one is on the way (along with the crank sensor for good measure.) I'll follow up here once they are replaced but judging from multiple posts I think it very likely this is the problem. I spent about 30 minutes playing with the live graphing features and they seem to work great. I have no doubt the tool will come in handy as the vehicle ages, and I feel it already was worth the investment as it saved me a whole day of travel and waiting at the dealer.

Bonus for me is expanded modules are available for just about every vehicle, albeit at $230 a pop. I have a 2007 Land Rover LR3 and a 2010 Audi A3, I know I will be working on the former soon and the latter at some point!

Cheers, Erik

sprinterpirate

not an electrician.
Wow, cool! So, does this essentially do everything the Mercedes diagnostic tool or the DAD can do?

I just noticed something in the screenshots: it looks like you can change some options for the central locking system. I would be curious to know if you can turn off the "feature" that unlocks all the doors if you open the driver's door from the inside, for instance. [not saying you should try this--just idle speculation. I'm scheming about installing automatic deadbolts in my doors and I don't want someone to be able to defeat all of them simply by getting through the OEM lock...]

Also: Pilot-PJ--are you wanting to change the RPM's at which the transmission shifts gears?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I just noticed something in the screenshots: it looks like you can change some options for the central locking system. I would be curious to know if you can turn off the "feature" that unlocks all the doors if you open the driver's door from the inside, for instance. [not saying you should try this--just idle speculation. I'm scheming about installing automatic deadbolts in my doors and I don't want someone to be able to defeat all of them simply by getting through the OEM lock...]
Just as a for-your-info, my 2005 passenger wagon does NOT unlock the other doors if i open my driver's door from the inside.
(i vaguely recall seeing that as an option somewhere: "doors unlock when engine stops", but mine doesn't)

--dick

psuggmog

Just as a for-your-info, my 2005 passenger wagon does NOT unlock the other doors if i open my driver's door from the inside.
(i vaguely recall seeing that as an option somewhere: "doors unlock when engine stops", but mine doesn't)

--dick
My 2006 passenger wagon does NOT unlock the other doors if i open my driver's door from the inside either. I wish it would not lock the non driver's doors every time I start the vehicle.

Pilot-PJ

NAFTA 2006 170" 2500 High
Also: Pilot-PJ--are you wanting to change the RPM's at which the transmission shifts gears?
No but I can't select the TCM only when connecting. I get "unable to communicate". Although looking at Stoney500 “Re: Transmission rebuild in attempt to cure loss of drive” (see below) I maybe in the wrong mode. I’ve got about a grand tied up in the Autoenginuity (Ford, BMW and MB unlocks), so I would like to find a decent standalone scanner so I don’t have to have it (and a $500 laptop) in the van when I take long trips. It is so useful to have the internet (my phone) a handful of key parts, and a scanner that can clear LHM, and diagnose engine lights. I would like to belive that Check Engine Lights are often non-critical, but sometimes they are. Knowing exactly what it is can save a trip!
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43643
I got the TCM by selecting the Vianno OBD2 selection that comes up at the bottom of the drop down list after the initial selection of "Mercedes Sprinter" icon was selected. It reads the information on the mfr, year it was programmed, updated etc... as well as Shift Solenoids, Speed Sensors, Trans temp. Torque converter lock up, and more. Does ABS, SRS too. I'm kind of surprised that it works but it does. Lots of other sensors that it reads also.
And
This is why I keep chirping on about selecting Global OBD2 after looking at a Vin specific related scan.
Various scanners have program and pid info not always covered by the module and platform selected.
Global OBD2 info allows you to dare and compare.
Always use it when it doubt !
Dennis

MeRob

I'm finding that choosing a scan tool can be more difficult than I expected.
The 'Check Engine Light' Issue that I experienced first appeared on a holiday...MB suggested I have my Sprinter put on a MB Computer SAP. ($100). Then the nasty light went out! Hooray! NO dealer visit.
A year later, while on holidays, the light came back on. Once again, MB warned of a possible engine shut down if ignored. Into the nearest dealer I went. The diagnosis was that both of my exhaust NOx sensors had failed. The repair required replacement of both NOx sensors PLUS over 5 hrs of shop time reprogramming the Sprinter's Computer. This was a $3000 fix (covered by Warranty...this time)
Will any Scan Tool be of any value in determining what warnings truly require immediate attention ? ...or better yet, help in avoiding having a problem in the first place ?Thanks, Rob

autostaretx

Erratic Member
My 2006 passenger wagon does NOT unlock the other doors if i open my driver's door from the inside either. I wish it would not lock the non driver's doors every time I start the vehicle.
How to change that behavior is covered in the Owner's Manual. (page 19 in 2005's)

(you can download the 2006 "user manual" from http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/ )

Herewith:
To Program the Automatic Lock Feature when Starting the Engine
Place the key in position 2 in the ignition lock and close all doors.

To switch off automatic locking of the front-seat passenger door and the rear-seat passenger area/cargo area:
Press the central locking switch at the bottom and hold it there for about 5 seconds.
The right indicator lamp flashes twice.
Automatic locking when the engine is started is switched off.

To switch on automatic locking of the front-seat passenger door and the rear-seat passenger area/cargo area:
Press the central locking switch at the bottom and hold it there for about 5 seconds.
The right indicator lamp flashes four times.
Automatic locking when the engine is started is switched on (standard setting).

NOTE: A door which is closed after the engine has been started will not be locked automatically.

--dick

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Will any Scan Tool be of any value in determining what warnings truly require immediate attention ? ...or better yet, help in avoiding having a problem in the first place ?
As Dennis will happily/correctly tell you: any scanner is merely one clue along the path.
It really takes diagnostic thinking, training and experience to answer your question completely.

If you'd like a hint at the issues involved, you can download and unpack the 2006 service manual (yes, i know you have a far newer Sprinter) from http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/

Then unpack the ZIP file, and look at the Powertrain diagnostic manual.
It's keyed by the dealer's DRB-III scanner's report.
For each of those keys there's a diagnostic tree/procedure that they *then* expect you to follow to truly isolate the issue (or which will lead you to others).
Even if the scanner is able to identify a specific component, there's still the puzzle of "is it the gadget, or is it the wires/connectors leading to it, or is it being confused by a bad ground back at the sensing module?"

A scanner will certainly walk you further down the diagnostic trail, but there's always the moment when it stops, pats you on the back and says "good luck from here on in".

As for which issues require action now versus "can wait a bit", that's far harder to estimate. For an NCV3 even the simple act of deferring refilling the DEF properly can leave you dead in the parking lot since the Sprinter's computer will (mistakenly) decide "it's empty, no more starts until refilled".

--dick

stoney500

No but I can't select the TCM only when connecting. I get "unable to communicate". Although looking at Stoney500 “Re: Transmission rebuild in attempt to cure loss of drive” (see below) I maybe in the wrong mode. I’ve got about a grand tied up in the Autoenginuity (Ford, BMW and MB unlocks), so I would like to find a decent standalone scanner so I don’t have to have it (and a $500 laptop) in the van when I take long trips. It is so useful to have the internet (my phone) a handful of key parts, and a scanner that can clear LHM, and diagnose engine lights. I would like to belive that Check Engine Lights are often non-critical, but sometimes they are. Knowing exactly what it is can save a trip!
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43643

And
Keep in mind that the scan tool that I used was the Launch Creader Professional CRP 123, not the Autoenginuity tool mentioned.
The values that I posted are from what this tools diagnostic abilities has determined to be true. Are these findings accurate? So far I would have to say "yes", although the TCM readout was not from the "Sprinter 905" selection on the drop down list but the "Vianno OBD2" selection instead. When I tested actual (realtime) values by selecting "TPS %" and I depressed the accelerator pedal, the percentage that increased with the pedal position reported on the scan tool seemed to be accurate with the location of the pedal position that I was holding the pedal at. Other realtime tests also confirmed true: Brake on/off, shifter position P,R,N,D, trans temp increased as the trans fluid warmed up from use, etc...
Bottom line I believe all the TCM values are accurate under the Vianno OBD2 selection.
However, this tool did not pick up or had a selection of a 5 cyl. engine on any of the Sprinter choices. Just 4 cyl. and 6 cyl. which would tell me that this tool is 2007 and up? I haven't done much looking in to any other Sprinter models besides T1N'S so I learned that there is a 4 cyl Sprinter? I didn't know.

Pilot-PJ

NAFTA 2006 170" 2500 High
I just got the van back (New Koni & ball joints up front and 2 glow plugs and module !!) and ran some more tests trying to get my Auto Enginuity to talk to the TCM. No luck in any of the "ODB" modes under MB Sprinter. Given the success of Stoney500 and the price on Amazon I pulled the trigger on the Launch Creader Professional CRP 123.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BGH0EAC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

With what I have into this thing so far what another few hundred... At least the van should be good for years to come.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
When I tested actual (realtime) values by selecting "TPS %" and I depressed the accelerator pedal, the percentage that increased with the pedal position reported on the scan tool seemed to be accurate with the location of the pedal position that I was holding the pedal at.
Be aware that TPS (as a single number) should be available on any OBD scanner.
If you have a real Sprinter-aware scanner (like the DAD), it will report two TPS values, since the pedal has two potentiometers as a safety feature (if they don't agree, the ECU will use the lower of the two, or refuse to believe either of them).
Other realtime tests also confirmed true: Brake on/off, shifter position P,R,N,D, trans temp increased as the trans fluid warmed up from use, etc...
Trans temp would certainly appear to be "deep knowledge"

Bottom line I believe all the TCM values are accurate under the Vianno OBD2 selection.
However, this tool did not pick up or had a selection of a 5 cyl. engine on any of the Sprinter choices. Just 4 cyl. and 6 cyl. which would tell me that this tool is 2007 and up? I haven't done much looking in to any other Sprinter models besides T1N'S so I learned that there is a 4 cyl Sprinter? I didn't know.
In Europe and the rest of the world, there were 4-cylinder T1Ns.
(but i don't think there were any 6-cylinders)

--dick

Top Bottom