Dealing with light floor rust

EvHarris7

I pulled up the factory floor in preparation to put down insulation and the new sub floor and came across a section of light rust. It doesn't look to serious, but I want to take care of it before it gets worse. It looks like just the paint bubbling, and some surface rust. What is the best way to handle it?

Just sand it down till I hit clean metal and primer over? Is there a recommended product to prevent future issues?

I also found a spot directly over it in the roof seam, which I suspect is how it got there in the first place.

Attachments

Does the top seam drip water during rain? My guess is that the floor and the rusting seam may not be related, but you have seen the vehicle. I have not.

I recommend using Eternabond tape topside to cover the entire leaking seam.

The floor looks like a candidate for rust inhibiting primer followed by a topcoat of real paint.

:cheers: vic

EvHarris7

The roof does drip in the rain, slowly, but in a decent rainstorm there is a small puddle on the floor in that general area.

I will check out the Eternabond tape, I need to get up there and clean up the rust first, I have seen a few recommendations for a product that is a rust inhibitor that Sprinter members have used. I also have a extra tube of DAP sealant from my fantastic vent installs, which I might use. It looks like you recommended that in the past, with being cautious that it doesn't spread too far since it is self leveling.

Top Bottom