Anyone running chains on front tires? Clearance?

Rensho

Snow is here in Lake Tahoe and I got out to fit the chains for the first time.

I got 2 sets of Laclede alpine sport chains. They fit the stock 245 size well.

There isn't enough clearance to the strut on the fronts. The chains go on, but there is not enough clearance for you to drive off without thinking bad things are going to happen immediately.

Anyone find chains that work for the front? Should I just forget front chains? I'm a noob to snow, and just want to keep the van, and me, out of the ditch or cliff.

ffamily

You've got me nervous. (I am in Colorado.) What kind of room are you expecting on the front?

After an ice storm in OK a 2 years ago where I was sliding sideways down a 4-lane road with a trailer behind me, getting stuck and roller-cable "chains" not being of _any_ help... I vowed never again...

So, I bought front & back sets of toothy v-bar chains from ETrailer. I figure the road crews need something to do in the summer - why not patch my tracks through their blacktop!

But I admit, I have not considered clearance issues. I have run lots of rear chains of various styles before, but never anything on the front. I went with front chains for braking and keeping the whole thing going straight.

Are you worried about loose chains in general? Or even with tight fitted chains, that there wouldn't be room?

hayduke

2005/2006 leisure travel
It is actually pretty rare that you cant get around Tahoe with just snow tires.That included driving out to Kirkwood.Even when chain control is mandatory by CHP standards.So I dont see chains on the front as useful.If you are worried about having problems stopping on ice get snow tires that are studdable.

Rensho

I have unstudded studable winter tires i'll be using.

The chains i have use a cable on the inside of the wheel/tire and chain links across the tread. The rubber coated cable comes too close to the strut with the chains on as tight as i can get them. There is only 2-3mm clearance to the strut.

hayduke

2005/2006 leisure travel
I have unstudded studable winter tires i'll be using.

The chains i have use a cable on the inside of the wheel/tire and chain links across the tread. The rubber coated cable comes too close to the strut with the chains on as tight as i can get them. There is only 2-3mm clearance to the strut.
You will be OK on the front.Just add studs if necessary which is not likely.
On the back I would put the sturdiest best steel links I could find.I have had back luck with cables breaking and causing damage

Top Bottom