Trading futures and predicting the future

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
In this posting, mgjessop predicts "Oil will hit $200 this year and could be $500 in the next few years... "

That was back in May - 20 May 2008.

mgjessop, are you standing by your prediction? Are you still making a killing in the futures market?

I know a lot might happen between now and the end of the year, but I am curious to know if you still feel that USD $200 / bbl is not only likely, but also where you've kept your money.

-Jon

Attachments

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
It's .Lower how low can you go.
Notice Brent is the main futures market for sweet crude oil, The Berg rallies where ever there is a storm, or conflict. so WTI jumps a tad because of the storm in the Gulf.Again clear indicator of how the wall corrupts the worlds markets.
When you guys look at your 401's :eek:that's when the reality of the walls game will really hit home hard, especially for those where the time for retirement is Now.. or with-in the next12 months, the losses over the last twelve months equate to a massive 24%- loss in real monetary terms.
I'm off! " To spend what's left for a week". :D:
Richard

to.jpg

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Interesting that 60 minutes last night had a piece about the commodities market being manipulated by a few investment banks, namely Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch, and I think Lehman was in there too. The CFTC can't prove it because a lot of the manipulation was done without any transparency by these investment banks. They mentioned that it all started with Enron when they manipulated the electricity market.

One of the comments I found interesting was by one of the interviewees (I'm paraphrasing), "on that one trading day when a barrel of oil shot up $25, supply was up and demand was down..."

Since there are no longer investment banks (at least in the US), the market is not being manipulated. :bounce:

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
There are many who manipulate markets. Big stakeholders, in general, have the ability and often do time their buys and sells in order to shape the market. That's in commodities and in stocks, at least. Last June most of the large shareholders in the "financial institutions" made big sells before the news really came out about the helium that had developed in share prices. That's improper insider trading and the Bush SEC hasn't been very interested in that.

Because of the manipulation that takes place, the small trader is often misinformed about earnings relative to share prices and the only hope for long term success for the vast majority of investors is to only hold for long periods or go into mutual funds.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Seek if you follow the Bloomberg market! Speculation still plays the game of fear.
Gaza; up goes the oil world wide! Russia and Gazprom; up goes the oil price about 5 to ten dollars a go, same as it was when the oil was at $154.00 a barrel.
Notice fuel in California has just gone up at the pumps, just a few cents.[Demand!or lack of competition?]
your right on the factor of Banks and transparency, not as many players in the field.
With the EU; The European Transparency Commission are now tracking the speculators as to being asleep on the watch as well, Hopefully we will see some responsibility in this years cycle, to keep a check on the fraudulent activity's of the past.
Strange how some folk gloat at profit[SPECULATION with sort term Derivatives] and egg others to follow the egg-heads, when all is quite along the watch tower, funny thing is :thinking: those same folk are not about to comment any more.
Richard

Top Bottom