Help!

Ok, I'm new to the forum. I bought a 2008 Freightliner with 207K miles. As with any vehicle, I always start with changing out all of the fluids. Oil, transmission, rear axle. After driving a while, I noticed humming in the rear end. I've just completed replacing the rear hubs (and a broken abs cable). When I took it for a test drive, it's stuck in first gear (LHM). Do I need to reset the computer? I did turn on the key with the hubs out, to put it in neutral. The computer in this thing is kicking my butt.

lindenengineering

Ok, I'm new to the forum. I bought a 2008 Freightliner with 207K miles. As with any vehicle, I always start with changing out all of the fluids. Oil, transmission, rear axle. After driving a while, I noticed humming in the rear end. I've just completed replacing the rear hubs (and a broken abs cable). When I took it for a test drive, it's stuck in first gear (LHM). Do I need to reset the computer? I did turn on the key with the hubs out, to put it in neutral. The computer in this thing is kicking my butt.
OK questions with questions to answer.
Did the rig shift gear with a broken wheel speed sensor before you touched it?
Were the ABS/ traction lights on before you started this project?

Now you replaced the hubs ! At all wheel stations or only the rears?

You state again you changed the hubs, the rears come with new axle shafts were these replaced as well? (one side is about $800 the other $880)

For info the hub has an outer track with a perception head peep hole in it. Was this lined with the 12'o clock register hole in the axle tube.

In fact do the hub(s) have a peep hole in it for the tone ring buried inside the hub assy?

Depending upon build there are two different sets of sensors, some have a perception heads about 0.5 ": long, the others almost 1 " long.
Upon removal you didn't inadvertently break one did you? These sensors are traditionally difficult to extract without extreme care being exercised.

Have you installed a new short sensor when a long one was required?
For info the rig will register an ABS fault if you switch on and something is disconnected. Lights will come on!
Once rebuilt CORRECTLY with no faults the lights will remain on throughout several key functions/cycles then go out but remain as stored codes in the memory.
Now its obvious from your testimony you have no rear wheel speed signals or recognition as vehicle movement cannot be seen and hence the vehicle electronic controls cannot determine a speed signal and therefore cannot compute a shift.
All easy stuff really, but you will need a suitable scanner to find out what is wrong to make it work properly and put lights out!
Make sense?
Dennis

Dennis
1. The lights were not on before I started
2. Replaced both rear hubs - pressed on to existing axles (both axles in great shape)
3. Replaced right rear sensor (which I broke taking out) with the same length sensor that came out
4. The hubs I ordered were for my year Freightliner (2008). I'm not sure about a peep hole. Didn't notice one. Are they obvious?
Thanks, Jim

lindenengineering

Dennis
1. The lights were not on before I started
2. Replaced both rear hubs - pressed on to existing axles (both axles in great shape)
3. Replaced right rear sensor (which I broke taking out) with the same length sensor that came out
4. The hubs I ordered were for my year Freightliner (2008). I'm not sure about a peep hole. Didn't notice one. Are they obvious?
Thanks, Jim
For info the hubs are only supplied with axle shafts ex MB parts system.
Therefore you bought either hub assemblies aftermarket source or you bought just plain bearings and replaced them.
The tone ring peep hole is visually obvious on the housing boss part of the bearing housing itself, and if you have the assembly in your hand you can rotate the bearing inner tracks and the tone ring to see the tone signal hole pass the peep hole which in turn signals the ABS sensor when there is movement.
I suppose you could go back remove the wheels and the ABS sensors and with a flash light peer down into the hole and see if the peep hole is present (if at all) AND that the tone ring element is observed moving past the hole.
Frankly I suspect by using aftermarket parts you have seriously overlooked an important feature of the rear axle and the ABS system.
Dennis

lindenengineering

Very Apt Vertigo!
The inventors are sick of those who would disconnect so they have built in defeat devices.

Also MotherBenz knows of American tinkerers who would prefer to buy someone else's stuff to fix their creation and try to save money. Only a few "cook" the books! (If you know what I mean?):lol:
Das is vebotten!:bounce:
Cheers Dennis

vertigo

2007 NCV3 3500 3.0l
Very Apt Vertigo!
The inventors are sick of those who would disconnect so they have built in defeat devices.

Also MotherBenz knows of American tinkerers who would prefer to buy someone else's stuff to fix their creation and try to save money. Only a few "cook" the books! (If you know what I mean?):lol:
Das is vebotten!:bounce:
Cheers Dennis
Das ist bestimmtlich! :thumbup:

Dennis,

Yes, my bad. Had the hubs in 180 degrees off. Turned them back, and the van took itself out of limp mode. Thanks for all your help! Still getting some "humming" sound from underneath. May be the center driveshaft bearing. I'll check. Do I understand that you can't replace the universal joints?
Jim

lindenengineering

Dennis,

Yes, my bad. Had the hubs in 180 degrees off. Turned them back, and the van took itself out of limp mode. Thanks for all your help! Still getting some "humming" sound from underneath. May be the center driveshaft bearing. I'll check. Do I understand that you can't replace the universal joints?
Jim
Jim well that's good news.
Humming sounds like centre/carrier bearing!!!
Yes when it come to the drive shaft assy, pricing it up as a shop making an aftermarket replacement doesn't make financial sense to me especially where I am in Denver.

Prices are about $1200 for a made up job when I can get the real deal exchange for about $780 from the dealer.
One hour's labor and its running like new again!
Certainly worth considering if you want to keep your Benz a Benz.
Dennis

Top Bottom