Any new info on replacing Becker radio with aftermarket

Norwest

Hi,

I come to the reality that I can't live with the stock Becker radio nav unit. The interface is OK but the audio quality is dreadful. I have backup camera, and steering wheel controls which I would like to integrate into new head unit. I will be replacing the the door speakers and will add some in the rear but the power output and sound quality of the head unit will not be sufficient. I am thinking of installing an Alpine ILX-700 or similar. Based on threads on the site and other info sources there are some adaptors/interfaces that will allow for the integration of steering wheel controls. I believe many higher end radios should have inputs for backup camera but am not sure if an additional interface is needed. I have not been able to find an adaptor/interface for steering wheel and backup camera that is specific for the Sprinter. Anyone know of one? I found a Sprinter-specific adaptor from Metra (XSVI-9005 NAV) but based on the vague product info it is unclear what it integrates. The description from Metra is below.

Provides accessory (_12-volt 10-amp_)
Retains R.A.P. (_retained accessory power_)
Used in non-amplified system or when bypassing an amplified system
Provides NAV outputs (_parking brake reverse mute V.S.S._)
Prewired ASWC-1 harness included (_ASWC-1 sold separately_)
High level speaker input
USB updatable

Any comments or suggestions on integrating a aftermarket head unit would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Norwest

Norwest

Hi Zither,

Thanks for the recommendation. I did consider this but as I have not had good experience with these types of devices. I worked in car and home audio for a number of years (long time ago) so I have tried a number of different high level to low level converters and the issue is that the stock unit amp signal is distorted. Bad signal in = bad signal out. Perhaps the technology has improved ?

Thanks,

Norwest

I used a Metra 1784 adapter when doing my 2012, originally equipped with an Audio 5. https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23127&highlight=metra

It was useful to me in that it is able to convert certain CAN signals such as Ignition On and light dimmer control for use by my aftermarket head unit. Of course it also provided matching connectors to the factory harness and easy access to the original pre-wired speakers and antenna preamp power, athough in the end I replaced the speakers and wiring as they too were pretty much crap.

hunde

Hey all.

Just finished design and bench-test of an ipad mini based audio system in my '10 VW GTI. Reverse cam and lower bumper cam are issues I have not resolved yet, but will be working on them.

http://www.soundmanca.com/ has very nice mounts, lots of good info on integrating the ipad into factory controls, etc.

Planning to use ipad & Audison bit play audio server between both vehicles, making the server quickly swap-able is a bit challenging. Since there is a lot of "real estate" in the sprinter. I will likely install a dedicated monitor with several camera inputs (OEM, rear straight-back, blind spots, roof clearance).

Using my "old school" equipment (Helix, PPI, Rainbow, AVI) for 3-way active (mid / tweet in "pods" on dash or a-pillar) and either 2 6" or 8" in doors, 2 12" subs in enclosures serving as base of workbench behind crew seats.

Should be fun - i'll do a thread on it.

Cheers,

Tom

gavia

Norwest, I ordered my '15 2500 Crew w/ Audio 10.

I quickly removed it and installed a Pioneer NEX 8100, Pioneer two-ways in the stock door/dash positions (using Hein's adapters), another set of Pioneer two ways in the rear doors, and an Auto-I rear-view cam.

I maintained all SWC functionality by using the interface sold by Joe at Rocco's Automotive. Once I followed his installation instructions, a 5 minute phone call to him to walk me through the programming was all it took.

I researched many options but felt this was the best to go with.

I highly recommend a call to Joe, I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

vmoberg

Do the people who call you in your Sprinter complain about a lot of background noise picked up by the microphone on the Pioneer 8100 NEX? My wife says it's hardly bareable, so I'm looking for a fix.

Top Bottom