Why Pleasureway?

don_p

I am curious why anyone would buy a PW which is so bland and basic (like a Coachmen). Even the chassis they use is the basic, with no upgrades like Bi-Xenon, fog lights, blind spot etc. If I wanted to spend $110k+, I would buy a Leisure Travel or Airstream (which are luxury packed RV's), so why then spend close to 110 on a PW when you can literally get half that price a Coachmen?

chromisdesigns

I am curious why anyone would buy a PW which is so bland and basic (like a Coachmen). Even the chassis they use is the basic, with no upgrades like Bi-Xenon, fog lights, blind spot etc. If I wanted to spend $110k+, I would buy a Leisure Travel or Airstream (which are luxury packed RV's), so why then spend close to 110 on a PW when you can literally get half that price a Coachmen?
because coachmen doesn't sell a class B, and PW is heavily discounted, unlike the other two brands you mention.

You get what you pay for.

sheral

Because some of us find that for what we are looking for they are great Class B's. Why would anyone buy a Leisure Travel or Airstream when they don't offer what some people are looking for? You are free to buy whatever your little heart desires. Ha!

RV Doctor

Although not a B Class the Plateau XL is to us far more livable than a standard Sprinter. The unit is the same length as a standard metal body unit but far more livable. To us the other options aren't that important. The one thing that Pleasure-Way does have in common with LTV is the quality. It is evident in every aspect of the unit from bumper to bumper. If you look at Roadtrek, Airstream and LTV along with PW they are all excellent quality. If you are talking B's only the Plateau XL is really a Bplus or even a small C.

don_p

Thanks a lot guys for putting in thoughts, so far I hear, three key points:

1. because Pleasure Way is great Class B
2. Pleasure Way is heavily discounted
3. PW offers for some people what other brands dont offer.

I am considering Pleasure Way in my new RV search, but I also want to know, what specifically is great about it :), what exactly it offers that other brands dont offer - is that good looks, some special dvd system it has, better warranty, or .... ?

don_p

Actually, Roadtrek looks ugly for the price, I have owned one :) and when my friends parked their LTV's next to it, my Roadtrek's bland interior looked embarrassing :)

RV Doc: my biggest concern on Plateau XL is the chassis, I wish they get the luxury upgrades.

Although not a B Class the Plateau XL is to us far more livable than a standard Sprinter. The unit is the same length as a standard metal body unit but far more livable. To us the other options aren't that important. The one thing that Pleasure-Way does have in common with LTV is the quality. It is evident in every aspect of the unit from bumper to bumper. If you look at Roadtrek, Airstream and LTV along with PW they are all excellent quality. If you are talking B's only the Plateau XL is really a Bplus or even a small C.

RV Doctor

Hello all.
I understand your desire to have all the chassis extras. For that you would move to the Airstream I guess. For us, the Plateau XL is amazing. We are in the midst of living in it for six months over the winter. I am very impressed with the quality in virtually every way. I work on RV's for my business and have worked on them since 1978. I am very partial to Canadian built units. The standards of construction have always been far superior to many U.S. Brands in my opinion. Electrical systems and layout. Piping of water and waste systems and LP to just mention a few areas. I work on a lot of Roadtreks and am absolutely amazed (and scared) by some of the things they do on their builds.
On many RT's it can be a huge process just to access water lines or a water pump. This is my biggest reason for not buying one. The thought process and layout of LTV's Unity and the Plateau XL are very close. I prefer the XL because it is the regular sprinter length of 22'9" and it drives amazing. It has a very large feel to it without being large.
The only thing I was choked with PW was their approach to batteries. Using one MB 100Ah was inadequate to say the least. They did this to comply with MB while all their competition did things their way. PW is becoming a little more daring now. Venturing out of the box and giving their customers what they want.
The case in point is their adopting LiPo batteries. Although I am personally not a fan of them, many will be.
I got around my PXL's battery inadequacy in a way that gives me substantial power for a lot less $$$.
Remember though that the PXL isn't a B but really a C. I wouldn't use it as a second vehicle but for travel and camping it is great.

sheral

Hello all.
I understand your desire to have all the chassis extras. For that you would move to the Airstream I guess. For us, the Plateau XL is amazing. We are in the midst of living in it for six months over the winter. I am very impressed with the quality in virtually every way. I work on RV's for my business and have worked on them since 1978. I am very partial to Canadian built units. The standards of construction have always been far superior to many U.S. Brands in my opinion. Electrical systems and layout. Piping of water and waste systems and LP to just mention a few areas. I work on a lot of Roadtreks and am absolutely amazed (and scared) by some of the things they do on their builds.
On many RT's it can be a huge process just to access water lines or a water pump. This is my biggest reason for not buying one. The thought process and layout of LTV's Unity and the Plateau XL are very close. I prefer the XL because it is the regular sprinter length of 22'9" and it drives amazing. It has a very large feel to it without being large.
The only thing I was choked with PW was their approach to batteries. Using one MB 100Ah was inadequate to say the least. They did this to comply with MB while all their competition did things their way. PW is becoming a little more daring now. Venturing out of the box and giving their customers what they want.
The case in point is their adopting LiPo batteries. Although I am personally not a fan of them, many will be.
I got around my PXL's battery inadequacy in a way that gives me substantial power for a lot less $$$.
Remember though that the PXL isn't a B but really a C. I wouldn't use it as a second vehicle but for travel and camping it is great.
nice to hear this coming from someone that has a lot of experiences in the industry! :clapping: we are soooo glad we didn't jump on the RT Agile SS. we got some really negative vibes reading about the RT's in general, and the RT sales people we dealt with early in our search... just way too pushy, putting the competition down with inaccurate facts, etc...

RV Doctor

I agree. I talk to a RT rep and he exibits a similar persona. Basically if you don't get RT then everything else is inferior. They are very confident of their product but they are salespeople. For those of us who FIX them, we have a more realistic view of things.
Case in point is Airstream Trailers. The company basically says "hey, we're Airstream". "We are the best trailer anywhere" and I agree. However I also feel that if you stop learning, adapting and changing, you are destined for disaster.

fred555

we are torn between pleasure way and Prism both appear to be very similar but why is the pleasure way worth $30K more?

RV Doctor

Fred. I have looked hard at almost every Sprinter Based unit out there. One of the main reasons why I wanted PW is that we live only 5-6 hours from the plant. Not that I need them for RV repairs but if there is ever a case needing body damage repaired I will get it done there.
Let's say that you live 5-6 hours from Elkhart I would think that was a big factor in your decision. We used to own a class A which company was in Alabama. The owner would always invite his owners to come on down. We'll treat you right and they do. But the cost for fuel is on the owner.
One big factor in all coach construction today is laminated walls. De lamination of those walls is a "let's sell the coach" issue. Coachman and virtually all other C Sprinters are lamination. Leisure Travel Vans is also lamination. Pleasure-Way does not use lamination on the Plateau. If they had, I wouldn't have bought it. The biggest case of de-lamination is water ingress due largely in part to not maintaining the sealants but also on initial construction and the use of a failed rubber membrane roof. Pleasure-Way uses a one-piece fibreglass roof on the PXL.
Bottom line is this. Are you buying the Prism because you LOVE it or because it is cheaper. There is a difference. Remember, a Volkswagen Beattle and a Top-line Porsche are made by the same company. They both do the same thing but the cost is another thing altogether.
If you feel the Prism offers what you want and you are happy with the price. Well, you know.

chromisdesigns

Fred. I have looked hard at almost every Sprinter Based unit out there. One of the main reasons why I wanted PW is that we live only 5-6 hours from the plant. Not that I need them for RV repairs but if there is ever a case needing body damage repaired I will get it done there.
Let's say that you live 5-6 hours from Elkhart I would think that was a big factor in your decision. We used to own a class A which company was in Alabama. The owner would always invite his owners to come on down. We'll treat you right and they do. But the cost for fuel is on the owner.
One big factor in all coach construction today is laminated walls. De lamination of those walls is a "let's sell the coach" issue. Coachman and virtually all other C Sprinters are lamination. Leisure Travel Vans is also lamination. Pleasure-Way does not use lamination on the Plateau. If they had, I wouldn't have bought it. The biggest case of de-lamination is water ingress due largely in part to not maintaining the sealants but also on initial construction and the use of a failed rubber membrane roof. Pleasure-Way uses a one-piece fibreglass roof on the PXL.
Bottom line is this. Are you buying the Prism because you LOVE it or because it is cheaper. There is a difference. Remember, a Volkswagen Beattle and a Top-line Porsche are made by the same company. They both do the same thing but the cost is another thing altogether.
If you feel the Prism offers what you want and you are happy with the price. Well, you know.
Best body construction in the industry is one piece hand-laid molded fiberglass and carbon fiber, found only on Coach House. You pay for it, of course.

kiwiboy

We have an 05 Plateau and looked at every Sprinter based unit. I don't know much about the technical side of RV's but do know about woodworking and furniture building--the cabinetry in the P'ways is second to none and after 10 years, there is nary a squeak or separation on any of our internal doors, etc. Also important for us was the functional layouts which we found were far superior in the Pway. Better bathroom layout with lots of storage and a fridge that is not on floor level--important when you are reaching for something at the very back of the bottom shelf.

Agreed. My 2006 is the same way. If I took all my stuff out, it'd be in showroom condition. That's after living in it for 10 years.

sheral

Also, from our perspective, Pleasureway’s choice of engine, trans, and coach products really seems to have been well thought out. For example, we are so pleased the Ascent had the I4 and 7 speed trans (the combo we wanted anyway after researching the MB drivetrains). The house batteries, the solar options, the Gerard generation II, the propane gen, etc are all working out very well.

RedBanker

Why can't PW incorporate the MB luxury features (LKA, BPW, Coll Prevent, etc) on the PXL? LTV does it! No manufacturer other than LTV seems to do it.

Top Bottom