Sprinter Ignition barrel & steering lock

rusty ol van

Hi just wondering if anyone knows if a sprinter 412 v reg ignition barrel and lock will fit and work in a sprinter 208d r reg it looks the same but I don't know.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Re: ignition help

When i have questions like that, the first thing i do is look up the -part number- for the two years/models in question. Any Sprinter repair shop should be able to provide them.

If they're the same, then it will fit.

Here in the US we don't get the range of Sprinter models other countries have access to, so i'm limited to the "easier" question of "does a 200x widget fit a 200y?" (x and y being numbers from 1 thru 8)

US part number documents are available from http://www.berrysprinter.com/sprinterparts.php

I would -assume- that model year 2002 thru 2006 are the same ignition barrel.

good luck
--dick

rusty ol van

Re: ignition help

I doubt the part no. would help as my van is a late 90s model and the key and actual key lock are different to mine. However the actual metal clamp with steering lock looks the same and the black plastic ignition control bit with all the wires look the same. I asking in case someone has fitted new parts to old vans to keep them going. I was told newer vans could just have the key lock replaced while mine is built into the steering lock housing. Harder to steal but when you barrel collapses you need to cut the whole F**king thing off or spend hours drilling the shear bolts. I'll check the part no.s but if anyone has done a fit of this type I'd appreciate the shout as I'm looking at one on ebay.

rusty ol van

I asked a short while ago wether or not different models of sprinter take the same barrel/lock set-up. I have now checked a 412 sprinter set does fit a 208d sprinter despite a good difference in age. There is a few subtle differences depending the model but these are easily remedied.

So in conclusion your barrel/lock colapses and your sick of starting it with a screwdriver. Just find a sprinter of the same era and use it!

Hope this helps anyone.

Top Bottom