Need Some Help To Find Speed Sensor!!!

Jim42

Hi!Somebody can help me to find speed sensor on 2005 Sprinter A/T.
This is my story.3-4 weeks ago in morning time I start engine and 3 lights came on dish. ABS,ESP and
small sp. tire(yellow color).Can't move because shifter was locked.But I need to go.I'm shut off engine ,pushing on brake pedal ,turn egn.lock on and move shifter in neutral and turn engine on.OK.Can go and every time when make stop , I use parking brakes and shifter in neutral poss.
Later,check engine light is came with code P0500.It sad,speed sensor failure.
I'm already change 4 ABS sensors on wheels.And on dealer diagrams find another one.Ordered that(it looks like large sensor with o-ring and 5-6 feet wire),and tried to find location,but nothing:idunno:.On pictures it shown on drivetrain.
Can somebody show me what I need to do and where is that???:thinking:
Please don't tell me to go to dealer.( I'm so far from).

talkinghorse43

From the '03 service manual:

N2 and N3 Speed Sensors
The N2 and N3 Input Speed Sensors are two Halleffect
speed sensors that are mounted internally in
the transmission and are used by the TCM to calculate
the transmission’s input speed. Since the input
speed cannot be measured directly, two of the drive
elements are measured. Two input speed sensors
were required because both drive elements are not
active in all gears.

INPUT SPEED SENSORS
DESCRIPTION
The input speed sensors (6, 8) (Fig. 165) are fixed
to the shell of the control unit via contact blades. The
speed sensors are pressed against the transmission
housing (2) by a spring (7) which is held against the
valve housing of the shift plate (5). This ensures a
defined distance between the speed sensors and the
exciter ring (4).
OPERATION
Signals from the input speed sensors (6, 8) (Fig.
166) are recorded in the transmission control module
(TCM) together with the wheel and engine speeds
and other information and are processed into an
input signal for electronic control.
Input speed sensor N2 (6) records the speed of the
front sun gear via the externally toothed disc carrier
of the multiple-disc clutch K1 (10) and input speed
sensor N3 (8) records the speed of the front planet
carrier via the internally toothed disc carrier of multiple-
disc clutch K1 (3)."

Didn't find reference to a speed sensor like you describe, but maybe the tranny speed sensors are dirty (assuming your A/T means automatic transmission). If so, Doktor A posted here a procedure for cleaning sensors in the tranny.

rlent

Jim,

I'd suggest posting the part no. of whatever you have so we can try and track down whatever it is.

rlent

Attachments

Jim42

Yeah ..... he did (it was late, I was tired ......)

Yeah, they are - here's the pic of it from the '05 parts manual.

It's a rather poor picture but my guess is on the upper left side (driver's) of the rear portion of the transmission case. It's marked as item no. 9
Thanks.I have had this pic. from them and spent whole day to try find that sensor.:thinking:Nothing there.It too big to be inside(5-6 ft.wire with connector).I think,it must to be inside trans.:idunno:

Jim42

From the '03 service manual:

N2 and N3 Speed Sensors
The N2 and N3 Input Speed Sensors are two Halleffect
speed sensors that are mounted internally in
the transmission and are used by the TCM to calculate
the transmission’s input speed. Since the input
speed cannot be measured directly, two of the drive
elements are measured. Two input speed sensors
were required because both drive elements are not
active in all gears.

INPUT SPEED SENSORS
DESCRIPTION
The input speed sensors (6, 8) (Fig. 165) are fixed
to the shell of the control unit via contact blades. The
speed sensors are pressed against the transmission
housing (2) by a spring (7) which is held against the
valve housing of the shift plate (5). This ensures a
defined distance between the speed sensors and the
exciter ring (4).
OPERATION
Signals from the input speed sensors (6, 8) (Fig.
166) are recorded in the transmission control module
(TCM) together with the wheel and engine speeds
and other information and are processed into an
input signal for electronic control.
Input speed sensor N2 (6) records the speed of the
front sun gear via the externally toothed disc carrier
of the multiple-disc clutch K1 (10) and input speed
sensor N3 (8) records the speed of the front planet
carrier via the internally toothed disc carrier of multiple-
disc clutch K1 (3)."

Didn't find reference to a speed sensor like you describe, but maybe the tranny speed sensors are dirty (assuming your A/T means automatic transmission). If so, Doktor A posted here a procedure for cleaning sensors in the tranny.
Thanks for info:clapping:.Have you any link or pictures of that?Thanks again.

Jim42

HI!This is Jim again.Today I did everything what recommend Doctor A. Took off trans.plate,clean up solenoids(it was not so dirty),sensors,change fluid, filter and gascet.Put it back.And same .Before I start engine, I keep brake pedal,turn ignition on and crank engine(cont. hold brakes) and all lights is gone.And just release the brakes lights came again(even parking brakesis on and shifter is on parking too)No any van movement.And again can't put shifter in D.Need turn off engine,hold brake pedal,ignition on after can put shifter in neitral and start engine on. Everything working good on this Sprinter(has 203k already).
Please,any advise on it.Thanks.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Why are you holding down the brake pedal when trying to start the engine? Not that you can't, but why are you doing it?

What lights are going off? I'm guessing the instrument lights come on, but when you try and start it they all go off? :thinking:

It doesn't sound like it's the speed sensors even though it was brought up. Right now, you can't start it when in Park and I'd go as far as to say it's not related to (any) speed.

NEVERMIND this above...

Ok, I reread your summation and I'm guessing that it's the lockout feature that is causing you grief. Why it would do this when the engine is running and not when it's off is a mystery.

With everything off, no key in ignition, can you insert a pen/pencil, small screwdriver would be best, into the bottom of the shifter and shift it into drive?

Jim42

This situation is very intresting.When I start engine ,lights on panel is on(3) and never go out.Shifter is locked.(I"ll try in morning time to insert pen or pensil in that hole).Can't move.Turn engine off.When I pushing on brake pedal and try to start engine all lights is off and just realise brake pedal lights come Immediately on.Shifter is locked.Can't move again.Turn engine off.If I will hold
brake pedal and turn ignition I can move shifter in drive and then start engine.
It looks like mistery, but I need work and try resolve this problem.Any way need some advice.Dealer is too far and too expensive.thanks

talkinghorse43

Maybe the brake light switch? Just guessing here, but some others have had a similar problem. Here's a procedure I read to reset the brake light switch. It's from the yahoo sprintervan forum:

"Well Mike S and everyone who wrote in an attempt to help me, I say thank you. As has happened so often, I picked up the phone this morning for more specific help from none other than Herr Doktor A. Bittenbinder. First, I gave him new information that I had not passed to the group because I only got it just before I called him. The brake lights were on and wouldn't go off (with the key on). He diagnosed the problem immediately as I'm sure many of you would have had I given that info initially.

Andy gave me explicit instructions on how to fix the problem or to discover that I needed a new brake switch. As luck would have it, it was OK and I fixed it. I will try to explain it as simply as Andy did for me.

Lying on the floor (you might want to cover the seat runners/rails - I tore my shirt - but just an old T-shirt - you might be wearing something better) looking up into the underdash area where the brake parts are located you will first see the brake pedal then connected several inches higher, the rod going to the master cylinder then just above that by a couple of inches the brake pedal pivot/mounting point - just above that is the end of the pedal lever - you will find the brake switch that touches the end of the pedal to activate the brake lights and deactivate the cruise control. It is a small white plastic square with a "plunger" coming out of it to touch the end of the brake lever. With the engine running, press the brake pedal down as far as it will go and grab the "plunger" and pull it toward the end of the brake. It will come out from the switch and make a sound like very fine comb teeth being brushed across a piece of hard plastic. That is self adjusting teeth in the plunger that obviously did not self adjust. I actually did this a couple of times because I kept going to the back to see if the brake lights had gone out - they had not so I thought the fix had not worked. Not the case ....the brakes just had to "recycle" or clear it's throat. The cruise was once again working and the brake lights were out except when they should be on."

Don't know if this will solve your problem, but might be worth a shot.

Jim42

THANKS A LOT!!!:rad::rad::rad::rad::rad::rad::rad::rad::rad::rad::rad:
I CHANGE THE BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH AND EVERYTHING RETURN TO GOOD CONDITION.RUNNING GOOD.THANKS TO ALL.:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

rlent

Nothing like some good diagnostic advice from a long-time Sprinter hand like Mr Edd. :smilewink: Thanks for reporting back that it was, in fact, the problem. :thumbup:

brreeves

HI!This is Jim again.Today I did everything what recommend Doctor A. Took off trans.plate,clean up solenoids(it was not so dirty),sensors,change fluid, filter and gascet.Put it back.And same .Before I start engine, I keep brake pedal,turn ignition on and crank engine(cont. hold brakes) and all lights is gone.And just release the brakes lights came again(even parking brakesis on and shifter is on parking too)No any van movement.And again can't put shifter in D.Need turn off engine,hold brake pedal,ignition on after can put shifter in neitral and start engine on. Everything working good on this Sprinter(has 203k already).
Please,any advise on it.Thanks.
DID THIS Turn out to be the brake sensor on the pedal, or something else???

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
DID THIS Turn out to be the brake sensor on the pedal, or something else???
I'm seeing this thread for the first time. Yes, this owner had the classic symptoms of a defective brake pedal switch and it appears his problems were solved with its replacement.

Why was he cleaning the speed sensors on his transmission valve body??? Doktor A

psychopete

At the bottom of the shift consol, right below the "D" us a ball point pen - push it in hole and the shifter will work and continues to work normally untill you turn off the electrical. Just put the pen in again and off you go. Does not take any forse to puch the pen. I keep my pen in the ben holder on the drink tray.

The Vehicle will work just like nothing is wrong except the idiot lights don't go out.

Still get it fixed as soon ans you can but shifting in and out of neutral is not very safe and a pain in the butt.

Jim

this is a shot in the dark but have you checked the brake pedal micro switch? From your post I am having a hard time understanding all your symptoms but when you push the brake pedal does the little switch on the top of the pedal pop out or is it stuck in? Do your brake lights work correctly?

Tom

Reedrombo

I'm currently trying to change out my brake pedal switch. The white plastic housing sits tight against the cast aluminum housing that protects the pedals. How are people rotating that to get it out?
-Reed

Top Bottom