Worrying oil appearance. Loose pipe or something I need to worry about? (w/Photo)

Andy at Focallocal

Social Adventurer
Hi, I have a 311CDI 2002 Sprinter. I left it sitting in Greece for 9 months as it needed a new clutch and I couldn't afford it, now I'm driving back to the UK and everything seems great mechanically, driving absolutely fine, except I've just noticed the attached leak in the engine.

Anyone know if I should be worried and seek a mechanic? Or if I just need to check all the pipes?

I fear the black death! o_0

It did have an edc light pop on just once, a few countries back, but turning it off and on again fixed that, I guessed it was nothing serious as it didn't come back

Attachments

Andy at Focallocal

Social Adventurer
Note: oil was low but I'm arguing with the tax office so funds are low. I topped up rather than replacing the oil. It's not over filled, or a spill.

As nobody has answered.

I can't answer your question. I doubt that the oil is from a pipe or hose.

It could possibly be that the seal on your oil cap is leaking. The oil gets splashed directly on it by the timing chain.

What I would do (assuming the engine is running fine). Clean the area well to see if the oil returns and gives a better indication of where it originates.

What I would not do. Muck around too much with an engine which is running properly while far away from my repair resources.

Safe travels. vic

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
I'm thinking Black Death will be ruled out or confirmed if you remove the black top engine cover
Is the oil soft or hardened?

312d

It could possibly be that the seal on your oil cap is leaking. The oil gets splashed directly on it by the timing chain.
i will agree once more with Vic, the seal of the oil cap.
Do this clean evrything, and clean with some petrol the oil cap, dry the rubber seal and put it again, althou with time, the oil will creep again.

MercedesGenIn

Mercedes-Benz Resource
Hi there,

I think you will find this is a result of lost boost on the turbo hose to inlet manifold, in your case on the lower edge, 6 o'clock position of the hose connection. I see this a great deal. Oil is carried in the blow past. (this would also fit with the occasional EDC illumination - underboost) By all means inspect the filler cap. Simply putting the cap on in the other orientation will prove that oil is passing, as it will leak on the opposite side to where it is now and run down the rocker into the alternator!.... But its most probably due to hardening of the compressed rubber of the induction turbo hose, directly under the hose clip. No doubt through age, it can no longer give a flexible complient seal between the two surfaces. This is often a point of leakage mainly because it is where the rocking engine joins a static hose! Best to budget for a new induction hose and hose clamp, though often you can get by if you knife off the hard bit (half inch from the end of the pipe). On this section of hose the size will just allow you to do this as a get-by ONCE. Then clean off all the oil from the pipe and spigot, then refit with a new clamp/hose clip.

Did you find out the workings of your seat, I put together a short video for you on your previous post.

All the best
Steve

Last edited:

Top Bottom