2008 Sluggish w/ low humming from exhaust

Brkupwithnormal

Newbie here so don't hate on me. We have a 2008 low top that we absolutely love for our camping and adventure rig. We have had it a bit over a year w/ 140k on it. On a recent trip I started noticing loss of power and a low humming noise from the exhaust. I have a cheapy scan tool that connects to my phone so I pulled the codes. It seems that the DPF filter is clogged as well as the egr and possibly the intake manifold runner closed. I removed the egr and cleaned it with cleaner as recommended on here. It was covered in soot and seemed stuck closed before cleaning. This seems to have cleared the egr code but I am still getting the dpf code and low boost with the humming noise.

Here comes the part that I am really upset at myself about. It seems I have been using he wrong oil for the past 10k. I though that my manual said MB 228.31 was okay but after looking again my manual says 228.51, 229.31 or newer. So that being said I changed the oil to approved Mobile 1 and found a rebuilt DPF filter on Ebay to order and replace it with. Before I replace the DPF filter though. Should I do some sort of diesel purge or something else? I have been reading about stuck swirl valves etc. Its seems the only code coming up now is the DPF but have driven it much with the clogged filter and loss of power.

Any suggestions? Doktor A? I live in Asheville, NC and could bring it to you in SC if a possiblilty.

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
I wouldn't kick yourself about the 228.31 oil during the last oil change, it's unlikely that alone is responsible for your DPF issue, probably more likely due to the oil used during its prior life (do you know what was used?) Use of the wrong oil is common, even by many pro shops that should know better. About all you can do is use the right stuff going forward. It's also possible that at 140k the DPF is simply at the end of it's useful life. You might also want to check your oil consumption since if it is high that can impact DPF service life.

Before replacing the DPF I'd do a manual regen and see if that helps, might get some more life out of it. If you replace the DPF I'm not certain if you can simply swap units, you may need to do an adaptation in order to use the new component. Hopefully someone who knows for certain can comment.

Lastly if you are starting to see EGR and swirl valve issues (not uncommon at your mileage) you might want to consider a GDE engine tune which will disable EGR and swirl valves (and even DPF if you desire) and take those off the list of potential problem sources in the future.

Top Bottom