Black death and the smell of money!

lindenengineering

Well I suppose I have to state that the black death scourge has been found on an OM642 in a 2011 Sprinter. Its my first in an NCV3! (906 chassis to you darlings!)

Found by accident growing under them thar rubber valve cover sound deadening covers!

Background on this was new Sprinter owner purchased a used (second hand 2500 van) and presumably started to do a camper conversion on it!
Running an OT 1 main wire totally unprotected directly connected to the vehicle battery to his recently "DIY house power inverter lecky system the cable rubbed through touching down on the frame and it all went "LIVE!!
With all this arcy sparky going on it took out the PCM and the SCR/DEF control module just to name a few of the high dollar bits!

Since MB does not release the string codes to us mere mechanic mortals in fear that someone might nick a van (who would want to nick an old white van :FFS :thinking:) I shipped it to the dealer. After a week in their shop I get a call, "Hey Dennis I went to encode the injectors on this "jobie" says Tim the Tech and there is black death under the covers" !
Oh well we can handle that just get it running mate!
Well it will be another week we still have a few modules to change out waiting for stuff to come in!~Oh Ah! $$$$$$:smilewink:
Now this is specimen #2!

Specimen #1 this year has been a 2008 906 where the owner installed his "unprotected system" but went "mad with self tappers" !!!!
Punching through the battery wires to his newly installed house system, it too went live ground!----- eventually!

In that instance the battery exploded taking out the fuse box and the EIS system.
Short of all the MB string codes not only for the security system but for the ABS/Traction control system I shipped that one to the dealer after having found the cause buried under the floor! Dealer had to get some of the info from Germany to re-instate it!
The dealer bill alone was just short of $1500--Still its only money!

I suppose in closing this post once upon a time customers often paid in cash, these days only weed sellers and growers do that and the bills are often crumpled and well used!
But there was a time when a large wodges of newly printed bills would pass hands and the "magic feel" , even the smell of new money enjoyed as you counted it!:thumbup:
Whether it be US Dollars with Mr Franklin looking at you, or accompanied by HM and the ER11, or even dare I mention Fundador Senor Simon Bolivar smiling at you in his Milliones de Boliveres the feel is the same.

Shame because today its just the sound of plastic sliding through a machine and a hurried signature scribble --well its only money indicated by a few numbers on an electronic print out!

So when you guys are hacking/whacking screws into metal with "gay abandon" (gay in the old fashioned meaning of the word) you can always say hey what is your wallet--Capital idea these credit cards!:crazy::bounce:
Take care and be careful for crying out loud !:thumbup:
Cheers Dennis

MercedesGenIn

Mercedes-Benz Resource
Least you can now use a sensible puller on the new style injectors, instead of all the old school wiggle-waggle. Don't know if you have a van called a Vauxhall Vivaro or a Nissan Primastar (compact euro-van) over there but you can get a wonderful hydraulic annular tool available for a nice straight compact pull that works a treat on MB/Delphi's.
We borrow it from a trade contact when needed - not often on the new tin.
Steve

Last edited:

lindenengineering

Steve
Hi
Well I have variety of tools to have a go at them!
And my favourite an 18" long piece of 10mm wire rope with a crush clamp on one end and a stepped washer--The other end is welded to an injector pipe nut.

Floating about on the wire is big heavy sleeve with hand grips.
So with the tool attached to the injector simply just slide hammer away!--works well if you have enough space to swing a cat around under the bonnet! Some oxy heat works well too if you are going to junk the injector.

We haven't seen any Vivaro versions with the GM bow tie on yet!
I bet any plans might get put on the back burner until the VW Nox debacle dies down!:crazy:

The only strange one is the Nissan van which always reminds me for some reason of the CA Bedford van with that humongous Mr Softee ice cream body on it when it came circling about on the council housing estate growing up as a feral boy.
Cheers Dennis

Trayscott

Dennis, Just found it on mine with 251000. Right bank back injector (passenger side). Pull and replace the seal or is the injector junk? Think some of the smell was burning diesel fuel not just raw exhaust from the EGR pipe. No room back there for a big slide hammer?

Last edited:

Tooth Fairy

Away with the fairies.
Dennis Ive gone home a few times after crawling around the insides of a garbage truck only to get from er indoors "eewwwww, whats that smell?" its the smell of money honey......:laughing:

rollerbearing

Reminds me of a line from the movie "Kenny" - he's cleaning the inside of a sewage tanker:

"There is a smell in here that will outlast Religion."

Top Bottom