suspension pop creak

bryan11

Only while reversing and turning to the left will I get a creak and pop from right side of front suspension. Is this a strut problem? Oh and it only happens when first starting out in the day, while cold.

Cvollmar

Most likely you will find it is the top strut bushings. I have changed a ton of them in my fleet vehicles. The aftermarket ones I have tried do not come with the top bushings so if you buy other than oem you may need to buy the top bushings.

lindenengineering

Remember the sway bar bushes, pinch U clamps, and bolts have all have been up modified to correct clacking and popping of the front suspension.
Has yours been uprated?
Cheers Dennis

Sprinter SS

I have a 2012 144" and it does the same thing. First suspension movement of the strut everyday, pulling out of my driveway. I have scoped out all of the bushings and tie rod ends and everything is good. When I put my foot above the strut mount (left side of brake pedal) I can feel the groan and friction of the strut moving. I wish it was something else but I am certain it's the strut or bushing at the top?

It has been about 20k miles doing this so I need to dive in I guess...

MercedesGenIn

Mercedes-Benz Resource
I have known similar 'first move-of-the-day' noises with brake caliper slides. Inspection usually finds poorly a lubed slide that 'releases' after a period of inactivity. Especially if its one of the pair that is sticking, (top or bottom one) as a foot brake holding operation (as we all do) on parking, sets the slide in a slightly skewed position, there is no further movement of the vehicle to 'realign things' until next morning when the wheels begin to turn.

It may not be this at all, but costs little in time to check.

All the best
Steve

Top Bottom