reverse camera at night

crashman

I finally got my Sprinter and I have the factory camera ( i think ) installed
I was trying to back into my driveway and I cant see anything out of the camera since it is dark out
Is there and suggestions on how to make it easier to see out of
I was thinking of a extra light but where should I face it?
or any other suggestions
thanks

sailquik

crashman,
You have the OEM factory installed back up camera.....or something else?
With the factory camera, as soon as you shift into reverse, the camera has a light, plus the back up lights, and while it's not like broad
daylight, you can see just about anything.
You do have to shift into reverse to turn the camera and light on.
Hope this helps,
Roger

crashman

when I ordered the sprinter I had them add the camera, it comes on in reverse but at night there isn't enough light to see anything if there's a light that is supposed to come on I don't think it is I will have someone put it in reverse and I will go out back to look for the light

MercedesGenIn

Mercedes-Benz Resource
Hi there

You can test the infra red output (if that is what it has - unsure about factory OEM but there are for sure replacements that have this feature) by using the same technique of viewing with a mobile phone camera here.
http://www.mercedes.gen.in/WP35/simple-test-mercedes-infra-red-remote-keys/

Sounds like it may be that the camera is not detecting the fact that it is either dark or reverse is selected and not switching over to the higher gain B/W IR setting as it should.

More investigation needed I think.

All the best
Steve

Last edited:

sprintguy

16+ yrs Master Commercial technician
Do you have the lines and grid when putting into reverse?? if not, the coding is incorrect and that may be messing with the camera. To know if its factory or not, the factory camera is mounted above the 3rd brake light, and it looks like a huge dongle pointing downward. The after market ones are located in the 3rd brake lamp lens hanging out. or other various places.

Carl

crashman

Do you have the lines and grid when putting into reverse?? if not, the coding is incorrect and that may be messing with the camera. To know if its factory or not, the factory camera is mounted above the 3rd brake light, and it looks like a huge dongle pointing downward. The after market ones are located in the 3rd brake lamp lens hanging out. or other various places.

Carl
I do have lines on the screen I had the dealership put it on for me so it better be stock. I think it does mount in the 3rd brake light though.
I had to bring it back to the dealership tonight because when I got home there was a spot in my driveway where it is sitting so I looked under the truck and found a few cross members were wet with a clearish fluid that had black stuff in it

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Hi there,
Not all aftermarket cameras look that dissimilar from the OEM ones. Indeed a lot of these have gridlines also.

Example: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-...-View-Parking-Kit-Waterproof/32247458321.html

Steve
With the OEM setup, the lines come from the head unit, not the camera. I know, because I have modified my unit to accept aux video inputs, and when in reverse (but NOT when selecting CAMERA from the SYSTEM menu) I get the lines over my aux inputs.

pfflyer

I do have lines on the screen I had the dealership put it on for me so it better be stock. I think it does mount in the 3rd brake light though.
I had to bring it back to the dealership tonight because when I got home there was a spot in my driveway where it is sitting so I looked under the truck and found a few cross members were wet with a clearish fluid that had black stuff in it
If the dealer installed it doesn't necessary mean it is OEM. My dealer said they ordered very few with the factory camera unless for fleet orders because of the looks and the ones on the lot were in the brake light cameras.

crashman

Ok so I go the van back and they told me the contrast was down all the way so I haven't driven at night yet to check it out but should be a easy fix

Top Bottom