wheel swap

signet

i have an '04 3500 duelly..i would like to change the dinky 15" wheels to the better 16" wheels..i have measured the '07 wheels on the 3500 and they seen to be the same!! has anyone tried to fit them to an older van?? the tires are cheeper and would give a better ride!! ahats theonly thing that has bugged me about owning it..80k and rollin' and lovin it!!!:idunno::yell:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
The NCV3 16 inchers will not work because it uses 6 bolts vs the 5 you have on your T1N.

2006 T1N 3500's did come with 16 inchers, so your best bet is to locate a used set or ask a dealership.

signet

the '04 sprinter duelly has 6 lugs and seem to be the same as the '07/8 in measurments..don't need to lose the "extra nut" will have to go to the dealer and see if i can "borrow" a new wheel to find out. will let you know if they fit.:lol:

Doug

If they let you try be sure you check clearance on the rear to the springs and on the front to the strut. If that size tire has interference you could go to a narrower size to fit. The other possibility is to go to a 7R15 tire on your 15" rims.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compa...=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&RunFlat=All&x=67&y=6 The 06 did have 16" rims on the Cab Chassis, it also had a different wider rear axle to clear the springs and a different front spindle. The rims have a larger offset and wider for the tires to fit properly.

Doug
04 Topless 140

Last edited:

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
The 06 did have 16" rims on the Cab Chassis, it also had a different wider rear axle to clear the springs and a different front spindle.
Doug, you describe the chassis cab as having a wider rear axle, but that's not always the case.

The dually model you may be referring to there could be what we know as the 611/3/6 here in the UK - in other words a six tonne Sprinter. A fairly rare beast!

It is more common to see the four tonne variant chassis cab, which has the same track rear axle as the panel body four tonne dually variant.

Doug

Doug, you describe the chassis cab as having a wider rear axle, but that's not always the case.
On the US model the Cab Chassis with the 16" wheels has a different axle slightly wider to give clearance to the springs do to wider tires. The GVW also rises from 9990# to 10200#. I don,t believe it makes it the 6xx series. However yesterday the loader operator got a little carried away when he loaded my truck with stone, I weighted in at 12225# GVW. I still had 2" to the bump stop on the back axle.

Doug
04 Topless 140

rlent

Amazing what those springs will take ain't it ? :rad: ........ still ......... I don't think I'd wanna hit any big bumps at speed ..... :eek:

TimJuhl

Looked at my 2006 3500 - all wheels have 6 bolts.

So far a number of people have remarked upon seeing my van for the first time "Aren't the tires kinda' small?"

Tim

Top Bottom