PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to store a Diesel Sprinter when planning to use in January

witraveler
08-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Living in Wisconsin I have a question. I have a Sprinter class B. How do I store a Diesel in the fall that will be taken out in winter? If I fill my tank as I usually do to pervent condensation then in January I don't have a winter blend fuel. How do those taking out diesels in cold climates after storage handle this? What do you use to deal with excess mosisture if tank not full? I know running a Diesel in 10 to 20 below temperatures is tricky even with a highway blend fuel. Thanks witraveler

rlent
08-25-2008, 06:20 PM
Toss some Power Service or Howes (or any one of a dozen other products) in there and treat the fuel before you store it. I'm currently running the white Power Service myself - it's cheap and easy to find (Wally World carries it) - provides a cetane booster, a water-dispersant, an anti-gel, and a biocide to keep algae from forming.

Keeping the tank full as well is wise idea though ......

KL2BE
08-26-2008, 12:43 AM
Rlent is correct :rad: ; a good additive with anti-gel capability should do the trick :thumbup:. Power Service is up to the job. Just be sure you add it before the last time you run the engine. Gotta get the treated fuel into the lines, filter and injectors if you want you rig to start in mid-winter. Actually it is the filter that is most likely to clog with fuel gelling at low temps.
Don't know if you are experienced in over-winter storage, but if not, be sure to take care of the batteries :popcorn:! House and starting.
Letting them run down will kill them :eek: ; as will over charging them :wtf:. Need a "smart charger", a "maintainer" or turn on a regular charger once a month for 12-24 hours. If your RV is like most brands (mine's an LTV) it came with a pieces of s__t Parallax "dumb" charger (as opposed to a 3-stage "Smart" charger) and will cook the house batteries if left on for a month at a time :bash:.

rlent
08-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Just be sure you add it before the last time you run the engine. Gotta get the treated fuel into the lines, filter and injectors if you want you rig to start in mid-winter.
That's a good point !

FWIW, if it's treated, diesel will last quite a long time - I keep a 275 gallon tank out in the barn for the tractor - usually get the minimum for them to come out and fill it, which I think is (or was, before fuel went up) 150 gallons. Sometimes (well, this past year anyways) that might be over a year's supply.

Awhile back I was looking for another 275 gallon tank for another project, and a friend and I went over to his sister-in-law's house and pulled out the HHO (home heating oil) tank in their basement. They had gotten rid of the HHO furnace like 10 years previous. There was still about 50 gallons of fuel in the tank. We pumped it out in to a 55 gallon drum and took it with us.

When we got home, we pumped into my tank running it thru a filter - and then I treated it with Power Service. It was filtered a second time as I pumped it out for use in the tractor (a Kubota - that cost almost as much as our Sprinter) ..... never caused even so much as an engine miss or a clogged fuel filter (..... not that I'd recommend doing this to anyone ...... but it was 50 gallons of free fuel :smirk:)

joleblon
09-04-2008, 12:54 AM
Regarding storage. Did anyone find a cover for their Leisure Travel Van sprinter? Our is outside and we would like to find a nice cover for it. We have snow, rain, and bright sunshine at 6,000 in SW Utah.

Anyone got a cover somewhere that they can tell me where it came from?

Jo Anne

KL2BE
09-04-2008, 02:03 AM
Regarding storage. Did anyone find a cover for their Leisure Travel Van sprinter? Our is outside and we would like to find a nice cover for it. We have snow, rain, and bright sunshine at 6,000 in SW Utah.

Jo Anne

Try here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__DODGE-SPRINTER-158-WB-2004-05-06-VAN-CAR-COVER_W0QQitemZ310020636495QQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20Truck Q20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadiZ2865QQcmdZViewIt em?_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116
Found this somewhere on the Forum a few weeks ago, can't remember who bought one but they said they were pleased.
Otherwise they seem to go for north of $200.

sikwan
09-04-2008, 02:21 AM

I got a cover here...

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32137&highlight=canopy#post32137

...for my 140. It does the job of keeping the sun off for $60 since I don't have access to it until the weekends. It's quite loose in the back as shown in the pictures and I have to snug it up underneath so that it doesn't blow up. The cover is like a rectangular block so the front doesn't quite match up to the slope of the windshield.

If you want something more form fitting to your Sprinter then maybe you could email one of the vendors off ebay to see if they could do it. There was one that was willing to do it for some extra $.

Last thing is if you're dealing with snow or rain, I can't imagine dealing with such a large cover.