Best Sprinter based year for used motorhomes

funpilot

I cannot afford a new class B or C Sprinter based motorhome so am looking at used ones. What past years would you encourage me to look at, which ones to avoid, and your reasons why would be great for me and other readers of this thread. If you feel a new Promaster should be something for me to look at instead, let me know. Thanks!!

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
You first need to decide which generation chassis you want, T1N (<2007) or NCV3 (2007-present.) The difference is a chassis redesign and engine change, the T1N uses the OM647 I5 engine and the NCV3 uses the OM642 V6 (or an I4 in the new models.) Both models have some proponents as being better/more reliable but in reality they both have their own advantages and weaknesses.

My own preference is for 2007-2008 models because you get the newer NCV3 chassis and if desired you can install an ECU tune that deletes the troublesome EGR and EKAS (swirl valve) emissions systems, and this model range is pre-SCR so no problems with the complicated DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) systems that can also be subject to issues.

But you can over-analyze the 'which year' thing, my advice would be to find the manufacturer and floorplan you like in your budget range, do a proper due-diligence (have the vehicle scanned for any trouble codes, do the usual visual inspection for any problems, leaks, etc.) and then... enjoy and don't look back.

What Smiller said. :thumbup:

An NAS aka NAFTA 2007 and newer Sprinter van will be the newer NCV3 body style.

Be aware that some 2007 factory conversion vehicles are built on the older T1N van style. Conversion model Sprinters are ordered/purchased in advance so build-out and sales can lag. With the economic slowdown in 2008 I recall some even lagged by 2 years.

If you like to maintain your own vehicle the T1N models are quite a bit more DIY friendly. They are also more forgiving as to long(er) idle time periods. Many T1N Sprinters have been used for carpet cleaning, dog grooming, and other idle necessary businesses without any real problems.

T1N vs NCV3 has been discussed in other threads. A search from the blue bar above should get you more detailed information.

vic

You first need to decide which generation chassis you want, T1N (<2007) or NCV3 (2007-present.) The difference is a chassis redesign and engine change, the T1N uses the OM647 I5 engine and the NCV3 uses the OM642 V6 (or an I4 in the new models.) Both models have some proponents as being better/more reliable but in reality they both have their own advantages and weaknesses.

My own preference is for 2007-2008 models because you get the newer NCV3 chassis and if desired you can install an ECU tune that deletes the troublesome EGR and EKAS (swirl valve) emissions systems, and this model range is pre-SCR so no problems with the complicated DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) systems that can also be subject to issues.

But you can over-analyze the 'which year' thing, my advice would be to find the manufacturer and floorplan you like in your budget range, do a proper due-diligence (have the vehicle scanned for any trouble codes, do the usual visual inspection for any problems, leaks, etc.) and then... enjoy and don't look back.
Smiller, can you point me at the ECU tune(s) mentioned above? I have an 08 that does have issues from time to time with the EGR and EKAS.

Top Bottom