Water pump longevity

Xames

I'm putting a new engine in my 02 sprinter (200k miles), a reman long block, and thinking i should install a new water pump rather that put the old one on a new engine, except it seems perfect. does anyone have any experiential knowledge on water pumps?

Thanks

312d

the OEM mercedes brand is abrigo (italian), skf will be good also. i had a chinese one saving me about 50 bucks, 3 months later i had to do it all again with the new OEM (that sucks)

cahaak

I have had a gates on for something like 70-80K miles now and no issues - the pump was well machined(purchased from Rock Auto). I think it is very important to use the rubberized metal gasket and they are only like $2 or so. Lots of the pumps come with a paper like gasket and it is a struggle to use it and it can leak. I personally think that there are many good water pumps out there, although I'm sure there are a few bad ones also.

Chris

312d

I have had a gates on for something like 70-80K miles now and no issues - the pump was well machined(purchased from Rock Auto). I think it is very important to use the rubberized metal gasket and they are only like $2 or so. Lots of the pumps come with a paper like gasket and it is a struggle to use it and it can leak. I personally think that there are many good water pumps out there, although I'm sure there are a few bad ones also.

Chris
yes, gates if available is good brand although i have never tried it. Cahak gives a very good advice on the gasket, it is a metal with some epoxy resin on it, it does seal very good and it is not difficult to remove later, the paper ones are crap, avoid them. I have been using a gasket maker whenever i do not have in hand a good gasket, it is loctite 515 it is an anaerobic cianocrilate type substance, you have to prep the surface very clean with alcohol isopropil or a paint degreaser specific product (i do car paint sometimes) it fully cures within two hours, a small tube will last many many water pumps you just apply a thin layer and it has given me excellent results much much better than rtv silicone wich i do not like and do not use anymore except in stamped sheet oil pans when you need to fill large gaps.
Another tip, do not use emery cloth or scratch the sealing surfaces removing the old gasket traces , use some hard plastic instead like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4PCS-Car-...ver-Pry-Kit-/281796997714?hash=item419c68f252

Last edited:

Top Bottom