PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Handling Options

jmattice
08-23-2008, 12:14 AM
We have a 2006 high/long 2500 converted by Pleasure-Way into a Class B. Low miles, 7,400# weighed.

I am taking the rig to Upscale Auto in Portland, OR next week for a routine oil change. As a Sprinter newby, I have a few questions.

First, Upscale recommends AMSOIL. Do you agree?

Second, Upscale has a variety of suspension options that they seem to favor, such as sway bar kits, assist springs and Koni shocks/struts.

Our Sprinter sways like a drunken sailor for sure. Would these help or is it a waste of money?

Have you guys installed such aftermarket stuff with good results?

dilleyoshempy
08-23-2008, 12:31 AM
Koni shocks were the best thing ive purchased for my sprinter, i have them all set to MAX and its not harsh at all, firm but comfortable! I would 10000000 million % recommend them! :)

cedarsanctum
08-23-2008, 02:39 AM
I had them install the Koni's on my '08, 170" that did not get a sway bar from the factory. The Koni's helped a tremendous amount, highly recommend. The sway bars i have not had time or money together at the same time to do, so they have been waiting, but they should help as well. It still needs at least the rear HD sway bars.
The shocks took the bouncing and some swaying out of the rear, but best of all it stabilized the rig going down the road. It's not affected by ruts worn in the road, or turbulence from bigger rigs.

Jef

KL2BE
08-23-2008, 02:54 AM
We have a 2006 high/long 2500 converted by Pleasure-Way into a Class B. Low miles, 7,400# weighed.

I am taking the rig to Upscale Auto in Portland, OR next week for a routine oil change. As a Sprinter newby, I have a few questions.

First, Upscale recommends AMSOIL. Do you agree?

Second, Upscale has a variety of suspension options that they seem to favor, such as sway bar kits, assist springs and Koni shocks/struts.

Our Sprinter sways like a drunken sailor for sure. Would these help or is it a waste of money?

Have you guys installed such aftermarket stuff with good results?

Install Koni shocks (at least the rear) and the 1 1/8th anti sway bar :thumbup:. Volumes have been written on these improvements so rather than go on and on here you should do a search.
You will not regret the purchase :rad:; if you want to save money do the install yourself :smirk:. Took me an hour to install both rear shocks and anti-sway bar. (Front Konis are a more involved install; try the rears and bar first and see how you like it before springing for the fronts.)

:2cents: I'd forget the Amzoil and use Delvac 1300 Supper 15w-40 or Chevron Delo 400 LE 15w-40; unless you have ASSYST and are hoping to get 15,000 to 20,000 miles between oil changes. If your sticking to 10,000 mile intervals for the warrantee, then expensive synthetic blends are a waste of money unless you need it for a special case like extra-frigid weather.
I'll save ink and refer you to :professor: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1193981#Post1193981 Might take some time to get through the volume of material; but as with this Forum, there's all sorts of interesting digressions.