Best way to replace engine?

I searched the forum and can't find much talk of replacing an engine.

I'm in the Charlotte, NC area but my engine blew while driving back from CO earlier this week. Started knocking and sent a rod through the side of the block. Odd, considering it has all of 125k miles on it. Had been cruise controlling at 70mph at around 2800 rpms.

Anyway, any advice on getting an engine installed? I would consider doing it myself if I knew a lift was not necessary. Anyone know if the engine comes out through the top, front grill area or from the bottom?

Anyone in the NC area have that kind of service done locally?

Right now the vehicle is in KS so I may find someone out that way to do it and fly out and drive home, or I could ship the vehicle to someone to do the work or potentially ship it home and do the work here on my own schedule..

Any thoughts appreciated! :hmmm:

Jeff

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I've not done it but the ones I've seen are pulling off the front bumper, radiator area and hood. I think the suspension is in the way of lowering it.

sailquik

Jeff,
Most I've seen remove the entire center section of the front end and pull the engine and trans straight out the front
in the manner ECU has described.
Since the vehicle is in KS (west or east KS) you might want to check with Dennis @ LINDEN Engineering.
He normally uses high quality Jasper remanufactured engines.
You could tow it back to NC and purchase a Jasper reman long block (with a con rod out the side your's is history)
and pull all the front end plastic/sheet metal/radiator stack off, rent an engine puller locally and
install it yourself. Lots of work/lots of time for a first timer.
Here's a link you might be interested in:
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40603&highlight=reman+engines
Jasper also has a network of local installers, so you might find one close to where your Sprinter is located
and work with them.
I suggest LINDEN as he's a top notch Sprinter repair shop and he's very helpful here on this forum.
I know that Denver is to the west a ways, but the next state east is KS (do not ask me how I know about
the CMV entry portal into KS from CO. Quite s story with a happy ending, if I never go back to Kansas).
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:

Top Bottom