HOLY SH*T! (New tune just installed in my 2004 Freightliner T1N

stoney500

HOLY SH*T! (New tune just installed in my 2004 Freightliner T1N)

I just got my new ECO-Tune from Green Diesel Engineering and I had no idea what I was missing. It's like driving a new van. Seriously. Unbelievable power gain. Hills that used to slow me down to 60 mph I now can take at 75 if I want to. The van runs smoother, contrary to what I have read, my van runs cooler than with my original tune. I can't say for sure if the tune I had before my GDE upgrade was factory but I imagine it was, what else is there? My van has 301,000 miles on it and runs fantastic! What I also like is that my accelerator pedal doesn't go down as far is with the old tune to maintain the same rate of speed which I'm sure is directly related to using less fuel which is in turn related to better mileage. When I get MPG numbers I will post the increase. This truly is amazing. If you have a Sprinter and are considering a GDE tune, trust me (even though you don't know me) and get this tune. Well worth the 695.00.

Make sure you take advantage of the Sprinter Forum discount and get 100.00 back.
(brings it down to 595.00) :thumbup:

Last edited:

Fixitman

2006 T1N 158in SHR passgr
I'm on my second day with the GDE tune. I'm completely dazzled by the new performance.

Last edited:

stoney500

I was hesitant at first but now that I see the results I am 100% glad that I did. The increase in power is so noticeable. No more having to merge to the right when going up steep grades. I carry probably an around 2000-3000 lbs. constant payload and the added power is a nice change.

obie

'04 long & tall passenger
You bastards are going to cost me some money!! Does having this installed have any effects on code scanners, or even scanguage?

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
Does having this installed have any effects on code scanners, or even scanguage?
None that I have noticed, on either a Scangauge or Autel MD802. You can see the after-affects if you intentionally look for them, such as EGR flow stays under 5% duty cycle (which means disabled) at all times, but otherwise no negative effects or obvious detectabilty.

stoney500

You bastards are going to cost me some money!! Does having this installed have any effects on code scanners, or even scanguage?
The code scanner I have is a cost friendly Autel obd2 with data. I can drive with it plugged in to see the new results realtime. If the question you are asking regarding any effects on code scanners, the scanners still work and they still read data, just different results in some catagories like ect, and load%. No codes thrown. I love this tune.

skydiver007

DRB III Owner If You Need
I have not seen any smoke at all coming out of the back of mine since loading the tune and regularly go 550 miles per tank with the pedal held to the floor.

Tukala

Repair / Service
I have not seen any smoke at all coming out of the back of mine since loading the tune and regularly go 550 miles per tank with the pedal held to the floor.
Well, then it´s tuned the way it SHOULD be.
Major changes with programs are based mainly upon just a few adjustments.
CR-pressure, boost-pressure and quantity of "fuel" per stroke (please correct if my English isn´t or gets far away from understandable).

Actually not really sure how to translate this but I´ll try to be as simple as I can (and that surely won´t take much to achieve :shhh: ) Anyway, the fuel amount delivered to cylinder(s) in a cycle is raised, so is the CR-pressure. Overall function is quite simle, even thou I´m not no programmer :thinking:
Ecu receives it´s data from sensors e.g.:, speed, gas pedal position, rpms, manifold pres & temp, etc. then performs "a few" calculations and analyses all received data, wether you´re runnin lightly or dragging your van to the mountains in high amb.temp.

Basically it uses pre-prog."maps" to compare any given engine situation and ofc. is in charge like "ego-filled" BIG BOSS by "telling / letting" parts do what is xpected.

Now, with tune, with A GOOD tune, ECU is still your BOSS but "ignorring" the data´s (original) values and this way e.g. the rail-pressure can be raised like 1350bar to 1500bar, without killing your speed, nor "tells" waste gate to open to get back in under "normal condition".

I´ll bet there has to be easier way to explain this.... But I´ll stay tuned awaiting comments :thumbup:

Sure it is NOT just that simple... but hope you got my point.

MUST also give this advise, not only my opinion, to STAY AWAY from those cheap tuning chips, available almost everywhere and advertised with non-sense promises about power & torque gain.
These are the items which really cheats ECU to perform without limits and alerts... No single warning shows up, but it may be too late then.

Welldone program allows everything to work as they should (even egr, but that´s a dead weight anyway)

HOPE this helps and/or was able to give even a tiny spark about engine tuning.

Fixitman

2006 T1N 158in SHR passgr
550 miles per tank? I just made 680 miles, empty and no tune.
There are a variety of models, weights, and gear ratios.
I think a lot of the little ones get 20mpg or more all the time.
I have the longest, tallest passenger 2500 with dual air and a trailer hitch. I only got 500 miles to a (26 gallon) tank one time.
I was driving carefully (never exceeding 65mph) on a single, mostly level, highway trip. The van was completely empty. I hit 500 miles and refueled. I still had about 1 gallon left. That means I got 20 mpg that one time.
Normally I drive fully loaded and with a lead foot. My normal mileage (averaged over 3 months) is 14.1 mpg though my actual mileage varies from 13 - 17mpg. That's city driving, heavily loaded (GVW over 10,000). I run both A.C. compressors nearly all the time.

I can't wait to see how the tune is going to effect my averages. Even 2mpg would be a nice improvement.

Tukala

Repair / Service
I can't wait to see how the tune is going to effect my averages. Even 2mpg would be a nice improvement.
Hope you get a noticeable improvement.

As you mentioned, variety of models are available and there´s always too many factors to consider when it comes to mpg comparing. Won´t make diffrence in which brand / van one prefers to.
Like, location....e.g. Coasts. East & west are not comparedable, neither is one from southern to north and so on. Umm... if you´re not really going for it :crazy:

Whoops, back in the original post. Sorry.

Was going to add that gguite many have reported better mileages aft tuning/programming.
Mostly due to the fact of increased power&torq., so don´t have to pull your van´s heart out on every hill.
THERE, however is this fact of physics: THE SAME amount of energy WILL be needed & consumed to pull your rig from 0-65mph,no matter is it done efficient , quick & smooth accelertion or the opposite way; The Acceleration is done slowly,where almost can feel the time stopping...:snore:
The same energyy is still needed.

Tuners/programmers with quality product and performance don´t need to stand out everywhere. Satisfied Sprinter owner will most likely report own experiences ahead, and so on and on...
Same goes with the ones whose "chip" proved to be good in only blowin´out engines, burning holes to pistons, etc.

Suppose, hardly anyone was aiming to seeks piston parts allaround from ground.

And why am I writing this, with poor skills,,, is: Please think, think twice before you let any random shop to istall anything to your van.
Make sure your vehicle is in good and reliable condition, not only the engine.
Remember; Added chip fools computer to assume everything is like should, but really aren´t.
REmember: Quality "tuned" ECU, still works the way as manufacturer designed, all controls and limitations enabled, even the LHM. It may and in such case, can save you a nice pile of bucks. (Options; chip--> LMH disabled or something related. Get a "kaboom" under the hood and chip,costed just under hundred bucks transfers to something you wish you haven´t ever heard of, whilst biteing it off :smirk: )
Remembr: No MATTER, if it has 1000 or 20k miles behind, every part is under greater risk to fail due to raised pwer.
(Funny, but still fact: DPF does not have to throw away nor disable, not before it´s going to tell, I´m done here. Certain amount of back-pressure needed for turbos) <-- More gotta do with NCV3s.

Remember: To pay attention to the traffic and to respect laws, even how grrrreat feel of PWR you´re having under seat. Drive carefully.

And what goes for my self, I enjoy driving with ´em A LOT and won´t consider to downgrade.

It´s also a good thing to set some goal(s). Go, give it a try next time you´re heading out to the route one is driven in regular basis.

I'm only getting 21 per gallon. Long and tall. Maybe using the rear end from a short short with different gears would improve mileage.

Howboutcha-

cloead

There are a variety of models, weights, and gear ratios.
I think a lot of the little ones get 20mpg or more all the time.
I have the longest, tallest passenger 2500 with dual air and a trailer hitch. I only got 500 miles to a (26 gallon) tank one time.
I was driving carefully (never exceeding 65mph) on a single, mostly level, highway trip. The van was completely empty. I hit 500 miles and refueled. I still had about 1 gallon left. That means I got 20 mpg that one time.
Normally I drive fully loaded and with a lead foot. My normal mileage (averaged over 3 months) is 14.1 mpg though my actual mileage varies from 13 - 17mpg. That's city driving, heavily loaded (GVW over 10,000). I run both A.C. compressors nearly all the time.

I have a long & tall (158" high top) and have never seen below 20mpg with about ~1k lbs worth of payload in the back 80% of the time. Best I've seen is 25mpg, worst 20mpg. No tune.

However I'm sure if I was loaded to the gills and beyond it'd be a different story!

I've always been interested in a GDE tune, however ~$600 for a 'mailorder' (ie, no dyno, no real world adjustment) seems insane. I'm glad that you were able to justify it though, I'm jealous!

Coast2Coast

2006 158 Cargo
I recently got 800 miles off a tank with a 2006 158. Average is 7-750. Can a GDE Tune beat that?

I do regular maintenance use optilube liqui moly and power service diesel additives. TA fuel most of the time. 0-40 Mobile One or Liqui Moly oil. 55/80 PSI.

Last edited:

flman

I have a long & tall (158" high top) and have never seen below 20mpg with about ~1k lbs worth of payload in the back 80% of the time. Best I've seen is 25mpg, worst 20mpg. No tune.

However I'm sure if I was loaded to the gills and beyond it'd be a different story!

I've always been interested in a GDE tune, however ~$600 for a 'mailorder' (ie, no dyno, no real world adjustment) seems insane. I'm glad that you were able to justify it though, I'm jealous!
$600, how many EGR valves will that buy you?

What do you mean no real world adjustment, does MB make an adjustment for each individual sprinter?

GDE will make adjustments upon request.

Now get in to the 07 and up sprinters, that tune saves you a bunch of money vs breakdowns and replacing all the nightmare parts that constantly fail.

And what about the lunacy of CA emissions that would have forced many sprinter owners to park or sell their sprinters out of state wether they liked it or not?

$600 for a like new running engine is chump change.

stoney500

My EGR failed prior to the GDE tune. My choice was tune at 595.00 (after rebate) or another EGR at roughly 350.00 on Ebay (for now anyway). I chose the the GDE tune............You should be jealous.:tongue:

surlyoldbill

My EGR failed prior to the GDE tune. My choice was tune at 595.00 (after rebate) or another EGR at roughly 350.00 on Ebay (for now anyway). I chose the the GDE tune............You should be jealous.:tongue:
To clarify this statement, are you saying that the EGR currently installed in your van failed (causing LHM or turbo shutdown), and installing the GDE allowed you to return to normal (and better) operating conditions?

I debated getting a GDE tune OR a new EGR a few months ago, but no would could answer the question about using an already failed EGR. I went with a new EGR because I didn't want to find out later that I needed a "good" EGR as well as the tune.

Top Bottom