Crash Information

geneowens1

Yesterday in Pickens County, SC, a head on collision occurred between a Ford Transit and a Ford F150 pickup - the couple in the Transit are both dead - one at the scene and the other at the hospital. The two guys in the 150 survived. Kinda scary in that the front of the Sprinter is similar.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Depends on what you mean by "the front of the Sprinter is similar". Looks make no difference whatsoever. Crash worthiness is all about engineering of crumple zones. Depending on who has the better finite element analysis jocks, two seemingly identical vans could produce very different results.

sailquik

geneowens,
Are you sure it was a full sized Transit Van and not the much smaller Transit Connect?
Did you see the actual accident?
I agree with Avanti.
The MB Sprinter van has well engineered front and rear crumple zones.
They are designed to fold under the front of the Sprinter.
Sprinters tend to be very "soft" on the front (don't ask how I know this) but that's
part of the design.
There is even quite a bit of "thought" given in the Sprinter front end toward limiting
pedestrian injuries in the event a Sprinter hits a pedestrian.
Roger

lindenengineering

Yesterday in Pickens County, SC, a head on collision occurred between a Ford Transit and a Ford F150 pickup - the couple in the Transit are both dead - one at the scene and the other at the hospital. The two guys in the 150 survived. Kinda scary in that the front of the Sprinter is similar.
It might be similar but as always looks can be deceiving!

It is generally considered in the trade that MB makes one of the highest crash surviveability ratings in the industry.
I have even fixed a 906 Sprinter that had a 50/50 40 mph front ender with NO degradation of the cells structure; in fact we took the doors from a non bashed up Sprinter and fitted them to a crumpled unit--fitted perfectly!

Now each collision and its severity cannot guarantee 100% surviveability as in the case of Lady Diana Spencer in Paris, but I have seen plenty of MB cars that have had been well and truly crunched, even T boned but all the doors could be opened. There are few makes that can emulated that enviable fact.
Basically its what you pay for when you buy the MB product and its structure is first class.:thumbup:
Dennis

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
A safety expert once told me the safest vehicle was a Mercedes parked in your driveway. ?

- - Mike
2013 Airstream Interstate from 2012 Sprinter 3500 tall & long

lindenengineering

A safety expert once told me the safest vehicle was a Mercedes parked in your driveway. ?

- - Mike
2013 Airstream Interstate from 2012 Sprinter 3500 tall & long
Mike, well of course but life is dangerous even when sleeping in bed!
After all you can have a heart attack and die getting your leg over in that bed
Life is for living--live it while you can!
Dennis

Top Bottom