Xenon headlight option- is it really superior?

cyclemax

I know in theory, and in some instances, xenon lights provide better nighttime visibility, but has anyone actually compared them to the standard halogen units? I have xenon on our Infiniti, and the light is impressively white in color, which seems like it would be better, but I can't really say they provide better illumination.

sailquik

On a 2014 Sprinter 170" wb Cargo, with the bi-Xenon factory option and the factory fog lights option, I would say that the
difference is oh like night and day.
It's amazing how much more you can see further down the road with the high beams on, and how much better the close
in visibility is on low beams.
You see the reflective road signs at least 1/4 mile in front of you with the high beam bi-xenons!
Add the wide angle close in light from the fog lights, and it seems like it's practically daylight.
Now I see the deer well before I would have in my previous Sprinters, and can take evasive action.
Hope this helps,
Roger

cyclemax

Thanks Sailquik. I've read your other posts about the factory xenons and figured I'd hear from you first:smilewink: I see you've had other NCV3's so I will take that as a direct comparison to standard halogen lights.

sailquik

Yep,
The only option that I ordered on the 2014 that impresses me MORE than the Bi-Xenon/fog light package is the suspension seats.
All the other options work very well.....not a scratch anywhere in ~68,000 miles....
I do have to get the windshield replaced...GRRRRRR..... living in So. Maryland sucks....rocks/gravel all over the roads.
Had a small rock hit/star about 3" in from the LH side of the windshield, but before I could get it filled, I now have a
crack that extends at least 2' from the LH side of the windshield.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
I like it. But:
if the amp. , one for each bulb, quits-working. Quits supplying the high-voltage needed to light the bulb. The replacement cost is around one grand, per side.

Superior candle power: Yes ...blue color.

Superior value: No

Btw oem still in service.

:2cents:
Knock knock.

dynaco1

I'm confuse; do not understand why people feel MB xenon lamps appear blue. My xenons do not appear blue from the driver seat or when being followed by my van, with wife as driver.

4wheels

They are not blue ! I have xenons and I love them . They are on top of the list of my $20k options on my Sprinter . I put X-Pell clear bra on headlights .
I had regular headlights on my 08 Sprinter with some German Sylvania Silverstar bulbs . I have to say that the light was good , a lot better than with just regular OEM bulbs , BUT not as good as BI- Xenon headlights ! Order them !
Last week I had nothing to do and I made to work my cornering lights .
:2cents:

I know in theory, and in some instances, xenon lights provide better nighttime visibility, but has anyone actually compared them to the standard halogen units? I have xenon on our Infiniti, and the light is impressively white in color, which seems like it would be better, but I can't really say they provide better illumination.
Are you referring to the factory HID versus the standard Halogen, or to comparing the standard halogen bulbs with "whiter" aftermarket bulbs such as the Sylvania Silverstar or PIAA Xtreme White?

Impressive light output. This is my first sprinter, so I don't have a comparison to the standard lights. I would definitely buy them again.

Sprinter SS

As others have said, like night and day. High beam is awesome. On my 2012 model which is decked out with options the Xenons are the one thing I could not go without.

sailquik

cyclemax,
I owned and drove (lot's of the time at night) 2010/2011/2012 NCV3 Sprinters with the OEM normal headlights.
Even upgraded all of them to the Sylvania SilverStar Ultra bulbs.
Probably over 120,000 miles or more.
No comparison to the 2014 with the LG0 BI-XENON HEADLAMP and L 16 Fog lamp options.
There is no way, here on the internet, using only words, that the greatly improved nighttime visibility can be
adequately described.
If you are considering purchasing a Sprinter, visit an authorized MB/Freightliner Sprinter dealer and take
a test drive after dark in Sprinters with each type of headlights.
That is the only way you can truly understand how much better the bi-xenon/fog lamp packages are.
Roger

floydturbo

Folsom, CA 2015 w170ex i4
I have a 2015 with factory xenons and am very pleased. What really excites me is the Rigid Industries LED light bar I installed on the front bumper. I got it from Amazon "Rigid Industries 91061 SR-Series White 10" Driving LED Light Bar". I have it hooked up to my high beams with a relay and it is super bright. With the LED and the xenon high beams, I feel very safe on dark roads.

Attachments

Top Bottom