Belt - Premature Failures

Is anyone else having problems with their belt? I am on my 5th one this year. Two in Jan.,6800 miles about, one each in June and Jul, and one a few days ago. About the same last year. Had all pullies and tensior replaced in Jan, the first failure, was told I had the wrong upper idler pulley and had the correct one installed. That belt lasted 10,887 miles, and for the sceond time it took out the transmiison coolant line. That replacement lasted 14,000 miles, this time I was able to replace the belt before it failed, it was just starting to split. Had the lower idler pulley replaced and new belt.

I replaced the vaccum pump as it had oil coming from the front cover, tech said it was dripping onto the belt. He thought it may have been the injector pump leaking, but it was fine.

:I'm at a loss here and no one can find out why.

Note: 5 different Dodge repair shops, any ideas will be welcomed!

rlent

Re: Belt

Had all pullies and tensior replaced in Jan, the first failure, was told I had the wrong upper idler pulley and had the correct one installed.
If the vehicle was stock (unaltered from the factory) at the point you were told that you had the wrong pulley, then that would leave me suspecting that whoever diagnosed it and came up with it being the incorrect pulley was wrong themselves ...... and ended up replacing the correct pulley with the wrong one ..... which might account from your continued troubles. Just a thought .....

Re: Belt

If the vehicle was stock (unaltered from the factory) at the point you were told that you had the wrong pulley, then that would leave me suspecting that whoever diagnosed it and came up with it being the incorrect pulley was wrong themselves ...... and ended up replacing the correct pulley with the wrong one ..... which might account from your continued troubles. Just a thought .....

No the wrong pulley was put on at 140,000 miles with orig belt. I was told the upper idle pulley was worn down and had no raised edge like the one down by the Alt. Only in June I found out it was the wrong one. However, three other shops just followed the first mistake and kept putting the wrong pulley on. Kings Dodge said it was the wrong one, they put the correct one on and that belt lasted 10,887 miles.

Top Bottom