clutch pedal problem

jimcondon

my 97 2.8 dsl Sprinter clutch pedal has no pressure, goes to floor and I have to pull it up manually. Checked fluid and toppd it up but no change. Engine starts fine but no drive in clutch, any solutions welcome

Hello Jim,
This is a long shot but I will relay the story to you in case it can be a help.
Years ago (about 25) my brother and I switched the brake and clutch fluid in his RX7 to Silicone (a very bad mistake). For a brief moment in time many people felt this would be an improvement because silicone fluid wont absorb moisture. The unfortunate side note is moisture is heavier than silicone brake fluid and will sink to the low spot in the system. When using the brakes in a performance way, the moisture against the puck would quickly boil and the brake fade was extreme and dangerous.

So back to the possible relevant part for you. When we flushed the silicone out to go back to a quality performance brake fluid the clutch cylinder started acting just as you described in the Sprinter. We could not get the clutch master to seal with normal break fluid. Everything else worked fine but the clutch master would not. We finally threw in the towel and went back to Silicone for just the clutch fluid. It immediately sealed and started working fine. I wonder if you could have accidentally used Silicone break fluid and given yourself a problem.

Good luck,
Nolan

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Jim,

If you have no drive from engine to gearbox then your clutch has collapsed.

Where you driving when it failed or what where you first aware of?

Keith.

PS What is your location, obviously not NAS as you have a Manual.

jimcondon

parked for 2 weeks , worked perfectly previously. brake fluid topped up(small amount) but no response . engine runs perfectly, I have Haynes manual but afraid to tinker

Top Bottom