Read/unread bold/unbold threads

Goliath

Hi. I hadn't been to the Sprinter forums in a while (3-4 weeks) so when logged in today I expected to see lots of unread bold threads. However, only 4 or 5 threads were actually bolded and everything else was unbolded, which I believe means the forum database thought I had already read them. How could this be if I haven't logged in for a few weeks?

Or is my understanding of bold/unbold read/unread status incorrect?

Thanks, Nathan

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Sorry missed this, let me see why that is.

What browser and OS are you using? Probably a browser issue and/or a cookie issue on the forum.

EDIT: Got some info on this issue after a short research. Right now the forum is cookie based instead of database based in tracking read/unread threads. Tracking via the cookie method uses the least amount of server resource than it is for the database method, except it is dependent on your inactivity value (15min) rather than the last login time. Some browsers may limit the cookie directory size and that will have an affect on keeping account of your read/unread threads.

We can go to the database method seeing that the last time we tried it we were having server problems unrelated to this issue. Some people like the cookie method and some don't, so we can try the database method and it will be set to 10 days. Any thread older than 10 days will be considered read. If you think we should change the day value, we can do that.

After changing it to the database method, the format will look a little different and since the database tracking has just been turned on, a lot of the threads that were once read are unread again. You can click on this link...

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?do=markread

...to cause everthing to go read.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
You're right Jef. Now that it was changed, everytime I read a thread it disappears from the list. I have to go back and find that thread again, if I remember where it was.

Maybe we should change it back to cookie based. :hmmm: It's certainly less processor and space intensive.

Goliath

Cool. My unread threads are bold again.

But..

After reading a thread and clicking the back button to return to the list, the bold doesn't go away (meaning the system thought I read it) until I refresh the page. This is probably the way database-based status works then.

But, unlike Sikwan, my read threads do not disappear from the list.

PS BTW, new Google Chrome browser is very nice and very fast. Check it out...

sikwan

06 Tin Can
After reading a thread and clicking the back button to return to the list, the bold doesn't go away (meaning the system thought I read it) until I refresh the page. This is probably the way database-based status works then.
That's how mine work actually.

If I hit the back button, everything is still there and bold. If I hit "new post" button, the thread that I just read disappears from the new post list.

When it was set to cookies, everything time I hit the back button or the "new post" button, the thread that I just read would still be there except it would be unbold.

I figured out how to get back to the list again, by either reading everything or mark everything read. This way when I hit the "new post" button, it would give me a last 24hrs link to a list of threads in time order.

Haven't tried the new browser yet. Have been hearing it lately and will probably try it to see what it's like.

Top Bottom