My used oil test results

japper

Got my lab test results from my used engine oil sample after 10 000 miles. I was pretty surprised at the results, as I'm using cheaper oil from Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 full synthetic and Wix oil filter on my 2008 Sprinter. I was gonna compare the results in the future with Mobile 1 ESP or even AMSoil.
I'm tempted to do another test with Rotella after 15000 miles. My van does 15000 miles a month on average.

Attachments

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
Rotella T6 is a very good oil, nothing cheap about it except for the price and that is because they sell a ton of it. But in your application a 229.51 oil is preferred due to the lower ash content, important for prolonging the life of your DPF.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
It surprises me that it protected your engine so well.
But I wonder if the higher additive metals are going to clog up your DPF filter?
1063, 939, 0 ,1080, 1381 , I don't know if those are normal numbers

japper

I was more concerned about fuel dilution and soot content because of those DPF regenerations. I started with Rotella as my friend is using it for over 100000 miles on his 2008 in expediting, his ODO is 300000 right now. So far he didn't have problem with DPF.

Last edited:

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
OK, but... 13 quarts of Rotella T6 comes to $67 at Walmart. The Mobil and Valvoline 229.51 oils are regularly on sale at NAPA for $5.69/quart or $74. For all of a $7 difference why second guess the manufacturer recommended oil?

NBB

I like NAPA.

My local Advance Auto Parts recently starting having the same sales. Between the two, it's no brainer.

Local dealer mentioned wrong oil being quite common with EGR, DPF issues.

Have fun with those oil tests, they are nearly irrelevant as to why you buy 229.51.

Gigabytes of oil threads here on this topic...

Top Bottom