adding a rear AC

Forrest_santos

I have a 2007 sprinter which only has the front AC, i was wondering if the compressor and receiver/dryer would handle adding a 2nd evaporator in the back of the van, i have found an aftermarket underdash ac system for sale both with ac pumps and without, not sure i have the room on the engine tk add a 2nd pump as i have 2 alternators and an air compressor installed on the engine already, if y I u have any thoughts or have done this already id appreciate any info, thanks

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
The 2002 Sprinter tied the rear evaporator to the single compressor (maybe it was oversized from the normal one, I don't know). My 1989 Nissan mini-van also tied the rear evaporator to a single compressor.

The Stock AC really only effectively cools the front seat passengers (2 of them). If you add rear AC, insulate the roof heavily, as even a white roof gets very hot on the inside of the van on a sunny day.

I have a 170" 2008 with aftermarket interior a/c. Compressor and receiver/dryer are stock. I moved the 2nd evaporator from above the driver and passenger to the rear of the van and added 9' of hose. Several road trips with hot temps and Coastal Mountain passes. Very happy with performance.

Top Bottom