T1N Error Codes - what to fix?

nbruno5

I purchased a 2005 Dodge Sprinter T1N on Jan 2015 with 160,000 miles on it and converted it into an RV. I am the third owner of the van. I bought it knowing that it had the error code 672 (P0672 Cylinder #2 Glow Plug Circuit Code).

Within the last 20k these are the repairs that the previous owner completed: new brake pads and rotors, new alternator, new turbo tube and resinator. Repairs completed by me in March at 160,000 miles were a 50-point inspection, replaced ball joints, front struts, and oil seals. Completed rear diff service. Completed wheel alignment. Oil change.

However, when I am driving at higher speeds for more than 30 minutes, it throws another pending code P0341 (Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance) in addition to the P0672 code. There is no decrease in speed, performance or anything else that is noticeable.

My question is should I spend the time and money to diagnose the error code and fix it? Or is it even something to worry about?

Thanks for all of the help. I appreciate the Sprinter Source forum - I have already used it numerous times for fixes and RV conversion info. You guys are a great resource!

mendonsy

The P0672 is most likely a bad glow plug that has blown the fusible link in the module. Glow plug #2 is not necessarily the #2 cylinder because the wiring harnesses are not all the same. It is not an issue until you get into cold weather.
The P0341 could be a warning of something more serious to come. The fact that it happens after driving a while indicates that the sensor is probably temperature sensitive. It won't get better but it might get worse.

The P0672 is most likely a bad glow plug that has blown the fusible link in the module. Glow plug #2 is not necessarily the #2 cylinder because the wiring harnesses are not all the same. It is not an issue until you get into cold weather.
The P0341 could be a warning of something more serious to come. The fact that it happens after driving a while indicates that the sensor is probably temperature sensitive. It won't get better but it might get worse.
I agree completely.

However, when I am driving at higher speeds for more than 30 minutes, it throws another pending code P0341 (Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance) in addition to the P0672 code. There is no decrease in speed, performance or anything else that is noticeable.

My question is should I spend the time and money to diagnose the error code and fix it? Or is it even something to worry about?
A wonky camshaft sensor CMP can set a LHM. If memory serves it sets a 3200 rpm limit that is often not noticed by the operator.

You may have poor conduction in the sensor plug. Cleaning the plug may solve your problem. That said, the CMP under the black engine cover is not that expensive or hard to change out. (Unlike the Crankshaft Sensor CKP which can be a bear.) The effort to inspect and clean the sensor plug is almost as much as to change out the sensor. I would get a new sensor and install it. If it doesn't correct the problem you will end up with a spare sensor. If it does correct the problem the you can keep the removed sensor labelled as a "mostly good" sensor. Inspect for harness damage while in the area.

:2cents: vic

nbruno5

I very much appreciate the help you guys! I will replace the camshaft sensor. The glow plugs won't be touched until it gets cold out...

Top Bottom