PDA

View Full Version : Replacing engine. Opinions, advice please!

Bazzle
06-27-2015, 10:39 PM
2004, 220k miles.
What are some recomended remanufactures? What are some opinions of what NOT to get. Also, should I replace anything on the transmission while I have the motor out?
Thanks

lindenengineering
06-28-2015, 12:10 AM
Jasper engine!
Good warranty nationwide!
Dennis

NelsonSprinter
06-28-2015, 12:20 AM
Why are you replacing the engine?
A new head installation is cheaper and easier IIRC
If a dealer told you a new engine is required what were the codes, symptoms and diagnosis for the cause of failure?
I'd clean the transmission's magnetic solenoids and screens, replace the electrical connector and get a DARF hole drilled.

Bazzle
06-28-2015, 01:10 AM
Why are you replacing the engine?
A new head installation is cheaper and easier IIRC
If a dealer told you a new engine is required what were the codes, symptoms and diagnosis for the cause of failure?
I'd clean the transmission's magnetic solenoids and screens, replace the electrical connector and get a DARF hole drilled.

Diagnostics on Monday. Speaking with reputable mechanics in my area, they all recommend replacing the engine and after seeing some other threads, I see that many that try to replace major worn bits, have more trouble down the road.
The Sprinter is my work vehicle so I'd rather rent a vehicle and continue to work, while I pay a mechanic.
The time it would take me to repair or replace, I could stay on schedule with customers and earn the cost of repairs. Plus the insurance of me not making mistakes causing further downtime.
I will learn more about the "DARF".
Any help or opinions are welcome!

Bazzle
06-28-2015, 01:21 PM
The symptoms are loss of power and severe blow by. 2 qts oil per 80-100 miles. No codes yet.

icarus
06-28-2015, 01:55 PM
The symptoms are loss of power and severe blow by. 2 qts oil per 80-100 miles. No codes yet.

Unless it has been abused, 220k is pretty low mileage to need an engine, and blow thT much oil. I would do some more investigating, sounds like it COULD be a more minor issue.

Icarus

Rob S
06-28-2015, 03:23 PM
Could this be the pcv oil separator diaphragm?

A failure of this pumps large amounts of engine oil into the intake manifold.

smiller
06-28-2015, 04:04 PM
As above you need to ensure that what you are calling blowby really is blowby and not some other source of oil getting into the manifold as a result of a failed PCV system, turbo seal, etc. The high amount you mention is really more suggestive of the latter.

Bazzle
06-28-2015, 04:10 PM
Could this be the pcv oil separator diaphragm?

A failure of this pumps large amounts of engine oil into the intake manifold.

Wish this was the case! When I pull the "PCV" valve out of the block while running, it blows smoke that would get the attention of every fire dep. in the county.
The dip stick hasn't popped out while running it hard, but if removed while running oil bubbles out.
Also, there's the loss of power issue.
Of course I will have more than one mechanic check it all out before replacing an engine.

smiller
06-28-2015, 04:13 PM
Did the symptoms come on suddenly or slowly over time?

OrioN
06-28-2015, 04:59 PM
Did the symptoms come on suddenly or slowly over time?
Curious here...

...at what millage did your engine experience its blow-by?

MikeP
06-28-2015, 05:03 PM
This is more than likely unneeded but be sure to check all parts on current engine/components that will be utilized after the engine swap, if you end up going that way. Also, I'd be sure to get a printout of all codes that mechanics feel is causing need of replacement of engine. If possible post codes. I have no clue concerning them but many here can assist with directing to possible causes and fixs.
BTW: 2qt/100 mile. I'd be more worried about tracking that down first. We had 2 dealerships on a Chevy say needed rebuild the engine. Shade tree guy after telling symptoms, slow take off, good power once going. PVC! He looked, "naw, looks OK" then ran hand up down vacuum line.
Been to 2 dealerships, both we need new crated engine or them rebuild our engine.
Shade tree guy said he didn't have that size tube but went got roll of electric tape, wrapped the hose. Said crank her up take and let's take a ride.
It started off great, drove great. Stopped let cool off while we had some refreshment at store. Same afterwards crank ran fine!
His charges with shop markup and all the overhead of his shop for his fix to engine: acouple sodas, pack of chips and $2 for roll of tape!
He suggested go to parts store, they might have hose in stock or may need order it but otherwise tape would not last long.

Bazzle
06-29-2015, 10:38 PM
Technician was gone when I picked my van up, so was th entire service dept..
What I got from them was this:
Oil leaking through several intake tubes, vaporized oil going into intake and all hoses. Smoke ( vaporized oil), and blow by gasses come from engine. Engine runs poorly w/ low rpm's and smokes badly. At low rpm's this condition can only be caused by damaged or worn piston rings.
Recommend replacing engine. Long block.
Codes weren't available when I picked it up and the symptoms was not information that I wasn't already aware of.
Having read other threads on this forum, I found that replacing just the head leads to further trouble down the road. That said, takes me to one of the original questions. "Where to purchase a new engine"?
Many say Jasper, but Im sure there are other equally or better options.

Ciprian
06-30-2015, 12:38 AM
Dr. A used to reman and sell t1n engines when he lived in PA. I don't know if he still does. Give him a call. Also Wayne Rodd in Toledo used to sell them.
I'd support a small reputable outfit before going to Jasper.

Bazzle
06-30-2015, 02:29 AM
Dr. A used to reman and sell t1n engines when he lived in PA. I don't know if he still does. Give him a call. Also Wayne Rodd in Toledo used to sell them.
I'd support a small reputable outfit before going to Jasper.

Cheers to supporting the small and reputable.
I'm very new to the forum and already have mucho respect for the help Andy has given me and many others!
I'll try and get in touch w/ Wanye Rodd as well.
Thanks

NORTON
06-30-2015, 04:43 AM
On 8-21-2011 there is a post in T1n Talk by Tegnamo 2003 engine swap
might be helpfull

Bazzle
07-01-2015, 04:04 AM
Local dealership priced a long block at $11,000.
Still waiting to hear from the shop that everyone locally has recommended.
I payed $7500 for it 3 months ago. Thought I did my homework. The ole wish I knew then what I know now!
I haven't drawn a line in the sand yet, but if the price remains high I am considering a new van.

smiller
07-01-2015, 04:11 AM
Personally if I were replacing a modern Mercedes diesel I would either purchase a remanufactured (not rebuilt, not take-out) engine from either MB or a well-known operation like Jasper, or replace the vehicle entirely. Anything else would be just too likely to lead to headaches down the road.

shortshort
07-01-2015, 05:42 AM
$11k for a motor? I'll sell you an entire smooth running 230k mile T1N for $3k. It has issues but engine/trans work like new.

Bazzle
07-02-2015, 05:07 PM
$6,800 for Jasper or $6,900 for a Go-Powertrain. Powertrain comes with injectors, valve cover, & fuel pump. (Less labor!)
It also has a 3 yr, 100k mile warrenty.

NelsonSprinter
07-03-2015, 03:35 AM
So far, nothing indicates an engine replacement, Oil vapour naturally goes into the intake hose and condenses in the intercooler, and into the EGR lots of it if the oil vapour capturing diaphragm is faulty, a $200 fix.
No codes given, no definitive answer.
Have you witnessed the blow-by gases by losening the oil filler cap?

Bazzle
07-03-2015, 03:57 AM
So far, nothing indicates an engine replacement, Oil vapour naturally goes into the intake hose and condenses in the intercooler, and into the EGR lots of it if the oil vapour capturing diaphragm is faulty, a $200 fix.
No codes given, no definitive answer.
Have you witnessed the blow-by gases by losening the oil filler cap?
Absolutely. With the engine cold, after running for only 30 seconds smoke rolls out of the filler cap. As I mentioned before, oil comes out of the dipstick tube like a geyser.
Huge loss of power, smokes like a crop duster, and now it won't start.

icarus
07-03-2015, 05:07 AM
Paging Dennis....

Icarus