PDA

View Full Version : Question on Serp belt kit and how far to go with other stuff??

Sprintophilic
06-23-2015, 02:15 PM
Hey all,

T1n 158 w/120k miles. Bought it with 110k miles.

When my AC is on I notice a faint belt/pully squeak. As I turn the blower motor up the noise intensifies to "definitely noticeable".

My thoughts are to grab a serp belt kit, prolly from europarts and inspect the other pulleys best I can. However I was wondering...while I'm in there are there other recommendations for 120k that I should consider, like thermostat, water pump, fan clutch, etc?

I don't want to go overboard but I do have about a 5000 mile road trip planned for August. This weekend while climbing up black mountain, maybe 2500 ft of steep climb in 90 degree weather, I did notice the temp climbing almost half way through the segment that ends at 250 degrees. This after I turned off the AC and was running in 4th gear. (It recovered quickly after I crested..)

Any advice appreciated!
Jeff

lindenengineering
06-23-2015, 02:19 PM
Does that kit come with a belt tensioner?
Dennis

hkpierce
06-23-2015, 04:26 PM
This weekend while climbing up black mountain, maybe 2500 ft of steep climb in 90 degree weather, I did notice the temp climbing almost half way through the segment that ends at 250 degrees. This after I turned off the AC and was running in 4th gear. (It recovered quickly after I crested..)

Any advice appreciated!
Jeff

You might want to check your radiator fins for clogging: http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12434&highlight=radiator

terra_firma
06-23-2015, 07:01 PM
Im experiencing the same problem. AC noise only when engaged and it is different than the normal fan sound. I have a new belt and alternator on so the noise surely must be coming from the ac compressor. Therefore, i don't see how changing the belt would make any difference. I'm not sure if the compressor bearing and the bearing on the pulley on the compressor are one in the same but i've been driving without a/c the past few weeks to avoid having the compressor throw or shred my new belt. Does this make sense, or is there an error in my line of thinking?

terra_firma
06-23-2015, 07:03 PM
You might want to check your radiator fins for clogging: http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12434&highlight=radiator

Is this suggestion in regard to the OP doing heavy driving in hot weather, or is it related to improving the function of the AC? Thank you.

Sprintophilic
06-23-2015, 07:15 PM
The kit does come with a tensioner. It could be a compressor clutch/pulley I suppose but I figured I should start with a belt tensioner kit with idlers and belt just to make sure that the drag of the compressor is not causing additional slip. At 120k I figure that much is at least warranted.

I will check the radiator fin condition for the hot running, even though the vehicle was under a good load.

Sprintophilic
06-23-2015, 08:03 PM

Wow. Now that I actually went and read that link and looked that the pics, I'll definitely be checking that next. Thx!!

hulagun
06-24-2015, 04:04 PM
My van had the same chirp around the same mileage... so I fitted new belts and pulleys and tensioner and had the AC recharged and changed the cabin filter. In the end, to quiet the chirp, I had to have a brand new AC compressor installed (at some expense). And it still takes awhile to blow cold air, but it gets there soon enough. Apparently that is due to the modern coolants used in lieu of freon, or so I was told.

I didn't notice any issue with my radiator fins, but I'll check them soon, I guess. I don't recall seeing over 210 F or so on the temp gauge.

Make sure you fitted a top quality or OEM belt tensioner, some aftermarket brackets have been known to fail. There's a lot of info in the forum.