PDA

View Full Version : Damn. glow plug kicked my butt.

Gabe Athouse
06-20-2015, 02:32 AM
Never thought I'd use those words in that order publicly. Anyway today I decided to replace all glow plugs and inspect my module. The module was bad but I repaired it. the glow plugs, well three came out. Two, did not. Number 1 galled the whole way out. I retapped the hole and reinstalled a new plug. Not a good job and I'm really bummed about that.
Now, number two is even more buggered. It broke off and all pieces are still in head and refusing to come out.

So, should I order the repair kit and wait a week, because I don't think anyone in my gigantic town has one :(

Or, do I take it to a sprinter mech and have them attempt to undo my bad crapsmanship?

Sad for my new baby. And for my disrespect of the care this simple job warranted.

surlyoldbill
06-20-2015, 03:34 AM
I've heard the extraction/repair kits work well. Last ditch effort is to drill it out and re-tap.

Kroil penetrating oil works about 4x better than PB Blaster, btw.

Gabe Athouse
06-20-2015, 03:55 AM
I used a blend of acetone and ATF because I read on here it works well, then backed that up with PB blaster after the downward spiral had begun. My mistakes were not letting the penetrant sit in the plug wells for a few weeks of normal use, and I should've used my cordless impact to rattle them a bit on extraction. It may have changed the outcome, but maybe not.

surlyoldbill
06-20-2015, 05:27 AM
Most people that have a problem do so because they applied too much torque trying to remove them, and shear the guts from the threaded body. It then just spins with the wrench, but isn't going anywhere.

I wonder if the guts are drilled out or otherwise removed, if an internal wrench like used for plumbing pipes would help remove it? Still have to break those threads loose, though.

Gabe Athouse
06-20-2015, 06:22 AM
I ran the engine a bit and revved it and it didn't seem to pop anything up at all which was sort of surprising. Also, the other 4 plugs didn't have any carbon at all hardly so I don't imagine a caked up situation on it.