Squeeeeeeeeek

vitola231

I have a Volvo v70 also and this car does something similar to the van, when I put on the winter rims an tires the car will squeek whenever you touch the brakes, the winter rims look exactly the same as the sprinter rims only smaller, when I put the aluminum rims back on the squeek is gone! Do you think a may be the roter vibrations transferring through the steel rims? Do you guys with aluminums have brake squeeking?
Thanks Trevor

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
When I was a kid hanging out in a front-end alignment & brake business, I'd watch my father deal with squeek complaints as follows:

First, he'd make sure it wasn't the wear sensor rubbing on the rotors, indicating that it's time to replace the pads.

Then he'd use copious amounts of water to spray out considerable amounts of brake-pad dust from wheel assemblies. He'd test drive it with the customer to demonstrate the lack of squeek. He did this "for free."

Then he'd tell a customer to drive it for a few miles and if - after some braking activities - the squeek returned, the customer could check for dust.

If dust was found, the customer could then return and pay my father - through the customer's nose, if the customer was disagreeable - to remove the pads and coat the non-stopping surface of the pads with some goo that would exorcise the squeek demon.

Pretty girls never had to pay through the nose. I didn't understand that until much later in life, but I still believe in squeek demons.

-Jon

BBlessing

61k happy miles
the brakes on my van squealed the first day i brought it home. it had five miles on it. they still squeal on occasion, but not so much.

bb

contractor

My brakes started sqeaking at around 15K, however, after ~ 20K they never squeaked again:thinking:I now have 26K.

vitola231

Thanks for the replies, I was just curious and trying to justify the urgent need for alum rims to my wife:laughing: the pads seem to have a rubber backing on them but I was always a big fan of putting no squeak on the surfaces:thumbup: I miss asbestos

Top Bottom