PDA

View Full Version : EGR

eldomike
06-17-2015, 05:24 PM
I'm a real newbie when it comes to Sprinters....I just bought a 2003 Freightliner badged Sprinter a couple weeks ago and am trying hard to learn what I can about them...my first of many questions....does my year have the dreaded EGR? Here are a few pics of my engine...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m245/eldomike/Sprinter/DSCF0034_zpslbcdridk.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m245/eldomike/Sprinter/DSCF0033_zps6beig4iw.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m245/eldomike/Sprinter/DSCF0037_zpsxzlnuja7.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m245/eldomike/Sprinter/DSCF0036_zpsi2cdny72.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m245/eldomike/Sprinter/DSCF0035_zpstwqyidkg.jpg

More pics of the Sprinter can be seen here....

http://s106.photobucket.com/user/eldomike/library/Sprinter?sort=3&page=1

surlyoldbill
06-17-2015, 07:54 PM
Dreaded? The 02-03 EGR doesn't last as long as the 04-06 if that's what you mean.
I just put on my second replacement at 240k. The original went to 150k, the first replacement went another 90k. Idling and city driving makes them wear out faster, I believe. Some people get over 300k or more on their original, but they are expediters or other long haul drivers.
Replacement part is $500 if you shop around, and takes 5-10 minutes. Just consider it a maintenance part, like tires. Regular cleanings may prolong life; an oil dripping EGR doesn't mean it's "bad", but a new one won't start dripping for 20-30k miles. There is a little 1/8" hole in the bottom of the top chamber with the plastic cover that allows excess oil to drip all over the engine. The oil is SUPPOSED to be there, the air entering the EGR has oil vapor and is supposed to lubricate things. Don't be concerned about finding oil in the hoses going to the manifold, within reason. I have a suspicion about how they eventually "fail", but need to poke around a little more.

Did the seller tell you what has been replaced and when? It looks like the EGR has been dripping in the past but is kind of clean now.

Just in case you don't know where the EGR is, which by the number of photos I'm guessing you might not, it's the device that the big air hose enters on the front top of the engine.

Another thing to look for is the engine wiring harness rubbing on the steel brake lines in the area between the battery and the engine. Wires can become bare and ground out.

NelsonSprinter
06-17-2015, 09:13 PM
Very nice setup.
Your 1st button right of the gear shifter is the ASR off button, press when starting off in snow or mud to keep it going forward, ASR applies the brakes to a spinning wheel to avoid skidding when fast, but slows you down to stuck when going slow in snow or mud. The thing missing from your dash right of the shifter is just a note holding clip.

My EGR came clogged with soot, but now I have a Green Diesel Tune which eliminated the EGR function and clogging.
Your Sprinter has no Transmission dipstick because MBenz wants you to take it to them to measure, but you can save money by buying a dipstick online, eBay etc

eldomike
06-17-2015, 09:48 PM
Very nice setup.
Your 1st button right of the gear shifter is the ASR off button, press when starting off in snow or mud to keep it going forward, ASR applies the brakes to a spinning wheel to avoid skidding when fast, but slows you down to stuck when going slow in snow or mud. The thing missing from your dash right of the shifter is just a note holding clip.

My EGR came clogged with soot, but now I have a Green Diesel Tune which eliminated the EGR function and clogging.
Your Sprinter has no Transmission dipstick because MBenz wants you to take it to them to measure, but you can save money by buying a dipstick online, eBay etc

Does Green Diesel make a tune for the 2003? Thanks for the info.

NelsonSprinter
06-17-2015, 09:52 PM
Does Green Diesel make a tune for the 2003? Thanks for the info.

Yes they do, approx. $700, with a DTC code reader/deleter included IIRC

surlyoldbill
06-17-2015, 10:00 PM
I have not been able to confirm if the GD Tune will take the place of an already failed EGR. IF the EGR IS currently working (no loss of boost pressure), then getting the tune may eliminate the need to replace EGR every 100-200k. I don't know, though.

smiller
06-17-2015, 11:02 PM
I have not been able to confirm if the GD Tune will take the place of an already failed EGR. IF the EGR IS currently working (no loss of boost pressure), then getting the tune may eliminate the need to replace EGR every 100-200k. I don't know, though.
I'm not sure either and this would have to be confirmed by GDE but the way I understand it is that the tune does not delete all EGR code but rather just sets the commanded flow rate to zero at all times. This has the desirable effect of keeping the EGR valve cleaning cycle intact but since the EGR valve, cooler, etc. are not flowing any nasty exhaust gases their service life becomes infinite, while still allowing the original tune to be restored at any time should that be desired. But... since the core EGR code is still present if there is a hard failure or EGR components are disconnected then the ECU will still detect that and set a code, thus a tune will not cure an already-failed EGR valve.

surlyoldbill
06-18-2015, 04:47 PM
I'm not sure either and this would have to be confirmed by GDE but the way I understand it is that the tune does not delete all EGR code but rather just sets the commanded flow rate to zero at all times. This has the desirable effect of keeping the EGR valve cleaning cycle intact but since the EGR valve, cooler, etc. are not flowing any nasty exhaust gases their service life becomes infinite, while still allowing the original tune to be restored at any time should that be desired. But... since the core EGR code is still present if there is a hard failure or EGR components are disconnected then the ECU will still detect that and set a code, thus a tune will not cure an already-failed EGR valve.

03 doesn't have coolant or cleaning mode.

I have a suspicion that the failed 02-03 EGR is a mechanical problem, not an electronic problem. As the amount of oil vapor increases when the EGR is beginning it's prolonged death, it seems that some tolerances must be getting larger and letting more oil vapor (and air) in the the control arm cavity. My hypothesis, yet untested to become a theory, is that the design that lets a LITTLE oil vapor/air in to the control arm chamber wears out and starts letting MORE air through, eventually resulting in an imbalance between the MAF and MAP/EGR sensor readings, and the ECU starts shutting things down (like the turbo control signal).

If my hypothesis is correct, the GD Tune won't work with a failed 02-03 EGR to return the engine back to normal functioning. If I find the time, I'll put my failed EGR back on and try to check and compare the airflow getting through with my new EGR, and/or try to block or restrict the vapor/air port in the failed EGR to see if that "fixes" it.

Dr A said many years ago that rebuilding the 02-03 EGR was not viable, but maybe he did not explore this tact. Maybe all it needs are new seals where the control arm enters the main port from the control arm chamber.

I like the idea of less soot entering the combustion and prematurely wearing out the inner works of the engine. People have been running GD Tune for years without adverse effects of over-heated combustion; I don't know of anyone reporting engine or component failure tied to GD Tune.

GreenDiesel
06-18-2015, 06:02 PM
I think the GDE tune will eliminate the egr code and allow full power. If the base eco tune does not, we can make some custom changes to have it off and no codes. If for some reason it does not work out, return the tool for a full refund.

The tune will be a better long term investment vs. another egr valve or two.

jmoller99
06-18-2015, 08:13 PM
I put a used 2003 EGR onto my 2002. I had to let the plunger soak in SeaFoam for over 2 weeks to get it run smoothly (it was very sticky in places) and where the plunger goes thru (it open up the port where the exhaust gases come into the intake) was at least 1/4 inch (6mm) of glazed exhaust crust. It was like fused on glass.

Once I got it so it would move freely, its worked quite well.

I would suspect that locking it closed will build up the crust where the plunger goes - it can't be good for it in the long run.

surlyoldbill
06-18-2015, 08:50 PM
I put a used 2003 EGR onto my 2002. I had to let the plunger soak in SeaFoam for over 2 weeks to get it run smoothly (it was very sticky in places) and where the plunger goes thru (it open up the port where the exhaust gases come into the intake) was at least 1/4 inch (6mm) of glazed exhaust crust. It was like fused on glass.

Once I got it so it would move freely, its worked quite well.

I would suspect that locking it closed will build up the crust where the plunger goes - it can't be good for it in the long run.

If you have a tune and the plunger never opens again, it wouldn't matter. Except maybe the port from the exhaust might get completely clogged, I don't know what that would do.

My concern is that the "fail" doesn't have anything to do with the plunger on the 02-03, but the design that allows oil vapor to lube the plunger and arm. A tune would not eliminate that at all.

galvinize
06-19-2015, 09:26 PM
2003 passenger van 158,000 miles.

Nice photos! The only time my engine compartment looked as clean as yours, was after the intake manifold was replaced (a factory recall, paid for by Dodge). When I see that the EGR is depositing a film of black oil on the intake manifold, I know it's time to clean it (I have three EGRs and keep a clean one ready to install). As Surly Old Bill says, it is routine maintenance. Keep a few new EGR gaskets handy for the re-installation.

My experience is that hidden rust problems (under the grey plastic step plates at the doors) are potentially more serious than mechanical issues.

That red plastic tab (on the cap of transmission oil filler tube) locks the cap in place, and when broken (as yours is) indicates that an unauthorized person has peeked at their transmission oil level. It is understandable, because the difference between full and "add oil" is a mere eighth of an inch, and it would be easy to overfill the transmission. As suggested earlier, you can easily purchase a dip stick (actually a dip-cable).

Aqua Puttana
06-20-2015, 12:15 AM
2003 passenger van 158,000 miles.

That red plastic tab (on the cap of transmission oil filler tube) locks the cap in place, ...
The red clip is to scare off people who don't research things closely. If the transmission internal pressure builds to the point of blowing the cap off you have some serious issues with your transmission. The clip is not necessary to keep the cap in place. It is strictly a non-tamper feature added by Mother Mercedes.

It is understandable, because the difference between full and "add oil" is a mere eighth of an inch, and it would be easy to overfill the transmission. As suggested earlier, you can easily purchase a dip stick (actually a dip-cable).

That is not the range which I see on my literature.

The full/add is a range of more than an 1/8". Maybe look again at your dipstick.

vic

nekit
06-20-2015, 02:06 AM
I think the GDE tune will eliminate the egr code and allow full power. If the base eco tune does not, we can make some custom changes to have it off and no codes. If for some reason it does not work out, return the tool for a full refund.

The tune will be a better long term investment vs. another egr valve or two.

I had an EGR on my 06' that was bad from being taken apart and was throwing a code and putting van in Limp Home Mode. I installed the GDE tune and it didn't fix it. I had to install a new EGR.

Funny thing is when I got the tune and it didn't fix it I called Keith and he said to reprogram the tune to turn off the code would probably take hours of programming and hundreds if not thousand dollars to do. I've been pretty happy with the tune. It just sounds like he is telling a different story here. Like he said though I guess you can always return it.

galvinize
06-20-2015, 09:58 AM
The red clip is to scare off people who don't research things closely. If the transmission internal pressure builds to the point of blowing the cap off you have some serious issues with your transmission. The clip is not necessary to keep the cap in place. It is strictly a non-tamper feature added by Mother Mercedes.

That is not the range which I see on my literature.

The full/add is a range of more than an 1/8". Maybe look again at your dipstick.

vic

I stand corrected... it's 10mm. Let's just say I wear my reading glasses when I check the level! Attached is diagram of the DipSnake.

f5hunter
06-21-2015, 03:13 PM
The GDE tune I purchased for my 06 has already paid for itself in fuel savings. The 06 may have a better EGR, but I sure do feel better knowing I am not dumping waste gases back into my intake...soot and oil make a nasty combination. The extra performance is certainly an added bonus.