Seeking Information and Opinions

peterott

Hello Peter here, please excuse me if posting here first as a newbie is not standard procedure. This is where I believe "Sprinter Talk" is the place to post.

I have been mulling over which make and model cargo van to purchase and convert to a motorhome for about a year and keep coming back to the sprinter, in particular the 316 extended length version. I have allot of questions but will post a few that concern me at the moment.

Q1 Is there anyone here that can give me valid reasons why I should not purchase a sprinter vs something offered by another manufacturer?

Some of the downsides I can think of are; the warranty offered is not as good as some of the others I have seen like 5 year 200,000k and a guaranteed price cap on scheduled warranty services. Of course purchase Price, which maybe should top the list, as well as the price of parts and labour from a Mercedes dealer when the time comes. Other concerns might be the same across the board, like how you are treated by the dealership used, their professionalism which I believe includes honesty, knowledge and experience needed to resolve issues quickly.

Q2 Does the extended length version become a problem by getting the rear hung up or dragging on the ground when entering driveways etc?

I have read someones opinion on this but would like to here it from at least a few who know for sure.

Load Capacity, this is a concern for me. When starting my research I originally was looking at the 4 series "SUSI" (super single) rated at 4.49T but to my disappointment the extended length version is not offered in the 4.49T or the dual wheel 4.49T-5.0T rating. This then leads me to my next question which is specific to owners, past or present of the extended length version that has been converted to a motor home.

Q3 In an extended version which could either be a 313, 316 or 319 that has been converted to a motorhome does the load capacity ever become a problem in say a standard modern conversion with shower/toilet, sink, tanks, hot water system, stove/oven, battery system and the list goes on for all the items that would add fixed weight to the motorhome?

My concern is after having all the things that are installed permanently and the tanks full to determine the gross vehicle weight. Is the capacity remaining enough to carry 3 adults and all things that someone would normally carry when living in a motorhome? I know this would be different from one van to the next depending on the conversion. I called a place that did van conversions, that had done conversions on these vans but I felt the salesman either did not know or was giving me the standard sales speech normally given by a salesman as the weights he quoted were 600 to 800 kilos of carrying capacity for its occupants and all one would load the motorhome with. After asking him, he was not able to tell me the gross weight of the motorhome after the conversion with all holding tanks full, which I felt should be an exact figure determined by actually putting the motorhome on a proper weigh scale. Maybe I am not like most but this is something that I think would be important to know.

All comments good or bad will be accepted graciously. A big Thank You to all or any who take time to respond.

Peter

pfflyer

To better answer your question it might help to state where you live. N. American versions have different emissions than European versions and this could sway an opinion on question 1. Other questions could be regional as well.

Welcome by the way.

peterott

Thank You Pfflyer, you are right I should say which country I will be purchasing a van in. I will purchase one in Australia, so will have what is available there to choose from. Also Thank You for the warm welcome.

Top Bottom