2014 aftermarket stereo system thoughts/advice

Onefin

After driving around with the factory audio 15 and Becker nav for a year, I have begun to look into an aftermarket stereo system.
I haven't put anything like this in a vehicle for 20 years, but I am over the factory system.
I am annoyed that I have wires and crap all over the place for a xm radio unit, and that the cost and effort to connect a backup camera seems silly. Plus the sound sucks.

I want satellite radio and a cd slot.
Might as well get nav, camera, Bluetooth, speakers, and amp and a sub.

I figure that there is no better time to do this then when I take things apart to sound deaden and insulate the van.

I want to spend approx. 2k or so.

I went and looked at the local high end stereo shop, and while I am sure that they would do a much better job on the install than I could.......a combo of $110 per hour shop rate and full MSRP retail doesn't really get me much equipment for $2k: essentially a $350 head unit, some cheap-ish speakers and a camera.

It just seemed like a lot of money for what really isn't that nice of a stereo.

I am thinking DIY

$2,200 gets me lots of killer equipment at crutchfield and other (cheaper) places.
Kenwood nav touchscreen, 2 pairs of hertz speakers, a 5 channel JL or similar amp and a sub, camera, plus all the adapters and wiring, etc.

Anybody here have any experience either way to tell me that I should or should not attempt to do this?
How hard is this? Will I completely destroy this van? I am not planning on cutting can/bus wires and stuff.
I am really not that "into" car stereos and whatnot, but I am never gonna get an iPod and I have some trips planned for this van that are going to be pretty long. If my flip-phone ever dies I will get a android smart phone for Bluetooth I guess.

I am not trying to belittle the value of the pro install, but it just seems that my budget isn't that great for a full install. The quote that they gave at $4,200 seemed much better. I can't do that as I need to save my money to continue to purchase $12 liters of DEF fluid at the Mercedes dealer!

Last edited:

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
educate yourself, buy good stuff, fix your mistakes, diy

My Sprinter install was not that hard and worked very well, it's all posted here, several other members have also done their own systems, there is a wealth of information here.

Between ebay and on line sellers for 2k you could easily seek early hearing loss, see behind you, know where you are and realize that no one can send a check over the phone.

My last system for a vintage regular cab pick-up was just under 500.00 shipped:

Alpine deck, bluetooth, cd, face jack for ipod/mp3
(2) sets or (8) MB Quartz speakers an MB Quartz amp
12" sub and amp by rockford fosgate
A good large gauge install kit

I made some mistakes but the finished product is very clean, loud and completely concealed.
The finished product would cost 2,500-3,200 professionally installed, I priced it.

I didnt find doing mine that difficult.

I chose to fit JL Audio speakers that fit into the OEM tweeter locations and midrange door spots (with the help of the adapter from hein: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26898&highlight=speaker+ring).

I was able to mount a 4x45W Alpine amp, the head unit and the JL crossovers in the volume of the center stack with the head unit. Then I installed a subwoofer and amp under the middle crew seat.

The factory wiring is better suited for something like LED lights so I went aftermarket there too.

I needed an adapter for the antenna connector and wanted an adapter for the factory audio connector to pick up and decode ignition on and illumination from the CAN bus. I used the Metra XSVI-1784-NAV adapter for the audio connector.

More details on mine can be found at: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20962

alichty

2014 LTV Unity TB
I have a system that was professionally installed just prior to taking delivery on mine so did pay the $$$ shop rate and it did come in about $1k over your budget but the write up I posted when I took it apart may be helpful:

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32919

I am still undecided on what will be my next head unit but I can state with absolute certainty it will NOT be a Kenwood :yell:

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
My local NAPA sells MB-spec DEF for $5.36 per gallon.
I'm not sure you meant to imply otherwise, but for the record: There is no MB-specific spec for DEF fluid. The BeVo DEF spec (#352.0) merely references the ISO22241 international standard. The bottom line is that there is only one standard for DEF fluid. If it says ISO22241 on the package it is fine, and I doubt you will ever find one that doesn't.

3mbusa

My Pleasure-Way RV conversion on an MB Sprinter 3500 came with a Clarion NX501; and I wish it hadn't -- "nufsaid". :thumbdown:

Top Bottom