Crew vans are they comfortable inside

draaronr

How's the air in them? I like the base price for a project but live in the land of heat and humidity and need it comfortable for the family.

sunnyside

No, to answer your question. Unless you load them up with options they are real basic, front air only, no insulation in the roof ect. I could not keep mine warm or cool the way I got it, I froze in temps around 20 degrees, the front heater could not warm that mass up.... 170 wb high roof, the air cond could not keep thing cool above 85. Lots of insulation now makes it ok, I'm talking about the roof, sides and a lot of work.

pfflyer

I no longer have the crew bench in the van but when I did I put a shower curtain behind the crew bench and even though I never rode back there I was told it makes a difference. I haven't had the crew bench in since I insulated but last summer I moved the shower curtain behind the front seats so the ac doesn't have to work as hard. Even though the curtain hung at the height of the coat hooks it does make a difference. This year I added 3m ceramic film to the windshield and side windows and I highly recommend it. I may install the curtain again this year but so far I haven't needed it.

jostalli

Well now we have conflicting reports
Have you driven one yet?

These are not conflicting reports. You must insulate these vans to keep a comfortable temperature. They are cargo vans, first and foremost. They are squeaky and loud inside. They are built to carry a load so unloaded the ride may be a little rough for your family.

draaronr

Have you driven one yet?

These are not conflicting reports. You must insulate these vans to keep a comfortable temperature. They are cargo vans, first and foremost. They are squeaky and loud inside. They are built to carry a load so unloaded the ride may be a little rough for your family.
Only the cargo van which i really liked. I like the back of the crews how the sides are solid but should probably get a passenger version

Coast2Coast

2006 158 Cargo
They are all comfortable and luxurious inside as long as you don't drive a T1N 02-06 (US) cargo van non insulated and get to hear the booms bangs and squeaks from the rear end. But we get better Fuel Economy and cheaper repairs so it is a trade off. :rolleyes: :smirk:

Last edited:

surlyoldbill

I drive my passenger van in crew mode most of the time; I rarely put the last 2 rows of seats in. Heat and air are fine, but it is a lot quieter when there is stuff in the back.

limepi

I have a 144" crew front ac only. So far not to bad. I have a habit of opening the back door and front door when i get in during a hot day. I do this for about 20 seconds and then the AC is fine for 2 front seats and first row. No curtain and no insulation yet. It does have the ceiling installed and mid way side panels.

All in all I am very happy with my CREW. It is a great daily.

In Waveland MS and today temps were in high 80's, but we have been in high 90's with van.

Last edited:

BurnsidesMTB

Walter and sunnyside what did you use to insulate? I'm looking to add some insulation in the roof and lower sides on mine. I've already done some sound deaden-er on the exposed mid section but that doesn't amount to much.

A friend of mine has a 2013 crew 170WB with no divider that we've been hauling motorcycles to the desert with. I don't think it's loud inside at all. Much quieter than my T1N with a divider. Did take a while for the AC to cool it off though. A shower curtain would probably work fine.

sunnyside

Walter and sunnyside what did you use to insulate? I'm looking to add some insulation in the roof and lower sides on mine. I've already done some sound deaden-er on the exposed mid section but that doesn't amount to much.
I used a product called Enguard, it is no longer available in the U.S. that I am aware of. If I was to do it again with what is easily available I would use Thinsulate. Forum member Hein sales this in the quantity you need per application for as good of deal as anywhere that I am aware of,probably the best product you could use IMO.

Top Bottom