Rear A/C problem, Leak

zachnsmith

I recently purchased a 2004 Dodge Sprinter 2500 passenger van. The rear A/C was not blowing cold when I purchased it. I had it serviced (they charged it) and everything was going great! I enjoyed hearing the kids' teeth chattering as they stuttered its c-c-c-cold!!!! On the return trip from Athens, GA to Wake Forest, NC, the rear unit stopped cooling the air though the fan was blowing. Front A/C works great and does not seem to be related to the rear issues.

When I had it serviced they pumped the system full of dye to make sure there was not leak.
I returned it to the dealership where they said it would cost 670 to fix.

I would like to fix this myself, but I don't know much about these vehicles (or servicing a/c).
They said I needed to replace the two transducers for the rear a/c lines.
I don't know much about what kind of transducers I should get or where to get them and if they are typically threaded parts or if they are welded on. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

lindenengineering

I recently purchased a 2004 Dodge Sprinter 2500 passenger van. The rear A/C was not blowing cold when I purchased it. I had it serviced (they charged it) and everything was going great! I enjoyed hearing the kids' teeth chattering as they stuttered its c-c-c-cold!!!! On the return trip from Athens, GA to Wake Forest, NC, the rear unit stopped cooling the air though the fan was blowing. Front A/C works great and does not seem to be related to the rear issues.

When I had it serviced they pumped the system full of dye to make sure there was not leak.
I returned it to the dealership where they said it would cost 670 to fix.

I would like to fix this myself, but I don't know much about these vehicles (or servicing a/c).
They said I needed to replace the two transducers for the rear a/c lines.
I don't know much about what kind of transducers I should get or where to get them and if they are typically threaded parts or if they are welded on. Any help is appreciated.
They are probably talking about the pressure switches .
These are removable but depending upon the build you will/may have to draw down the system to replace them. Some are soldered /brazed in place some are detachable. Again pending upon the build the system will hold between 4.5 to 6.5 lbs of R134a refrigerant.
This means using a recycling machine to evacuate the system. To buy one will set you back about $6500.
Once you have it repaired you will then need to evacuate the system, create a deep vacuum and recharge it to the prescribed charge weight.

Its not really a DIY job unless you have had training in refrigeration and A/C work.
Any decent mobile A/C shop can repair this for a lot less than a dealer.
In fact I might add, unless you live in a third world country, the US is about the only place where you can still buy SOME types of refrigerant on the open market.
Indications suggest this will change soon and only those with EPA licenses will be able to buy all refrigerants and dispense them.
Dennis

Top Bottom