Door speakers?

Gabe Athouse

Heyo. Wanting better sound than 4" dash speakers can provide. Took apart door panel and there seems to be room to mount 4" speakers in the chubby part below and forward of door handle, however the big area directly below door handle has not a lot of space behind. However since its recessed I was considering surface mounting some speakers there. Anyone done door speakers? I played with a friends portable speaker to test audio in different locations and what we discovered is that speakers low in the footwell sound great and I think door speakers would help a lot.

fwaggle

I didn't install them, but my van has 6" Sony xplod things in the doors, mounted on plastic rings presumably because there's not enough space, so that's always an option (though they do get in my way because they're right where I'd want to lean my knee against the door while driving).

Gabe Athouse

I'll upgrade the deck too but don't think I'll go for one that nice. Hoping there's an option that will sound a little better without breaking the bank. My other cars have half decent stock stereos so I'm wanting at least that level of audio

I ended up putting speaker boxes under my passenger seats in the back, but i have seats, not a cargo van.

Not that I answered your question, hut that was my approach

Gabe Athouse

Good to know nonetheless. We considered getting a small bench for the back but probably won't have room with it being a camper.

I asked the local car toys shop if they had surface mount speakers for my doors and they said they just build them out of plywood rings for any of their speakers . This Makes sense so I think I'll get either 6.5" or 6x9 and recess them as far into door as possible and call it a day.

So now I wonder what choices there are for speaker height in those cases.

I had these made and installed by Kenny at Stereo King on 82nd in Portland, OR. Kenny now works at Outside Vans. The pods are fiberglass covered in Vinyl. The speakers are two way Kenwood Excelon shallow depth. If you want more details on the speakers, I can look at the paperwork. They sound great powered by an Alpine CDE-HD149BT unit and a Kenwood amp. I have tweeters in the dash and a Kicker 11HS8 mini sub under the passenger seat.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434300353.003995.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434300364.947795.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434300374.647125.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom