PDA

View Full Version : can it be the turbo

paddedroom
06-01-2015, 12:19 AM
05,,,2500 has been running great..I get on the highway as I am accelerating the engine revs exceptionally long before getting ready to shift into 3rd gear .. I let off the gas slightly to allow it to shift and I hear a soft pop (or puff) then I loose power and smoke is just billowing out of the exhaust..The truck starts and runs ,just with no power and lots of blue/ white smoke. The truck didn't over heat.. Thought I blew the head gasket ...some people are telling me the turbo charger went out......Any words of advice? Thanks all..

Rob S
06-01-2015, 01:55 AM
May have just popped a hose, or a hose clamp.

Check all the hoses and connections from turbo output to intercooler and back to intake manifolds and the resonator, look for leaks signified by oily spots.

I assume you would have got a check-engine light as well?? If you can find and repair the leak, this will go out after a few start-run cycles.

Does not sound like deep-fried turbo to me.

icarus
06-01-2015, 02:40 AM
Could be a turbo, but most likely not. More likely a charge air leak or an EGR issue.

Icarus

paddedroom
06-01-2015, 12:19 PM
Thanks I'll check into both

surlyoldbill
06-01-2015, 04:17 PM
turbocharger rarely breaks, probably a leak in the boost air plumbing somewhere. Have you replaced the resonator yet?

paddedroom
06-01-2015, 10:09 PM
no I haven't..just towed it home...would that also cause all the smoke?

surlyoldbill
06-01-2015, 10:56 PM
improper air level for combustion. Someone else might be able to give you the black smoke, white smoke, blue smoke origins. I had a lot of white smoke when my fuel filter was clogged.

paddedroom
06-01-2015, 11:07 PM
thanks ,,for 50 bucks i"ll start there

paddedroom
06-01-2015, 11:08 PM
And Rob S ....no check engine light

paddedroom
06-04-2015, 09:03 PM
pulled the hose from the radiator to the resonator and it was full of oil....bad resonator?

crazyswede
06-05-2015, 01:43 PM
pulled the hose from the radiator to the resonator and it was full of oil....bad resonator?

the resonator is just a muffler to help quiet down intake noise. The oil is coming from your turbo or from your engine. I have a small amount of oil in all of my intake hoses but no smoke issues in the exhaust and the turbo works fine. This is probably a sign that there is some seepage past the turbo seals but not at a level of concern yet.

jmoller99
06-05-2015, 01:54 PM
There will always be some oil inside the turbo hoses (and anything they are ducted thru, like the resonator). This is normal.

ski
07-09-2015, 10:24 PM
Being so new to sprinters ans I never owned a turbo...The swooshing sound is quite loud. Normal? 2003 T1n

sailquik
07-09-2015, 11:15 PM
ski,
No, on a 2003 T1N with the OM-612 engine, you should barely be able to hear the turbo, and it would be a very high pitched sound....not a
"whoosh".
Hope this helps,
Roger

jmoller99
07-10-2015, 04:16 PM
On my 2002, the Turbo makes a whoosh sound (I really notice it when the window is open and I am near a wall that the sound bounces off of). I can always hear it spinning up when I start up from a dead stop (even with all the windows up) - its not loud, but definitely the Turbo. I don't really notice it at all while I am driving.

I had 155,000 in the Sprinter when I bought it, and have added another 70,000 miles since - it has always sounded this way (from where I sit in the drivers seat).

I suspect that this is why they added the Turbo Resonator in the 2004 and later Sprinters - to reduce that noise (and create another place for Turbo air leaks to occur).

It gets louder if one of the hoses has an air leak (I have had a hose blow off on occasion), so that may be a clue to listen for - know what your engine sounds like when it is running properly.

sailquik
07-10-2015, 05:12 PM
Guys,
Maybe we need to define what a "whoosh" or "swoosh" sound is.
Turbochargers spin very fast, and make a very high pitched sound as they spin up.
Have you recently been near one of the big hopped up turbo-diesel Ford Power Stroke or Dodge Cummins
pickup trucks?
You can hear the high frequency/high pitch "whine" of the turbocharger spooling up for quite a distance.
When the do their "blowing coal" (really black dirty exhaust from being very over fueled) act, you can often hear the
turbo whine almost before they get moving because they have them tuned to give lot's of low speed boost from the
oversized (yes, they change out the turbo for one with far more capacity than is really needed for normal driving).
That high pitched, very shrill, sound from your turbocharger may be what you are calling the "whoosh" or "swoosh".
If so, then yes, you will always be able to hear the turbo spooling up.
My 2014 OM-651 4 cylinder has a 2 stage turbo charger with waste gate (36.9 PSIA MAP).
The smaller turbo is a tiny unit with very low rotor inertia so it spins up quickly, but it cannot produce enough boost
to handle WOT (Wide Open Throttle) demands.
The small turbo gives pretty good power at low engine RPM to pretty much eliminate low speed turbo "lag".
The as the engine speed and power demand increases, the larger higher capacity turbo kicks in to make the
turbo pressure (MAP in PSIA) need to produce full power @ WOT while keeping the engine's exhaust clean through
the entire engine RPM range.
The OM-651 I4 system does have a 36.9 PSIA waste gate to prevent the turbo pressure from going too high.
The turbochargers on this engine give quite a bit more boost, in the lower (1400-2400) RPM than the single turbo
Garrett VNT systems used on the OM-612/OM-647 I5 engines and the OM-642 V6 engines used in Sprinters.
Hope this helps,
Roger
systems

ski
07-10-2015, 07:03 PM
Sounds more like I have a hose leak. Not a high pitch sound at all. Sounds like loud sucking or blowing. I looked at the hoses but dont see anything. I hate to take it in. Haven't found anyone in the area who knows about Sprinters. Nearest dealer is 45 miles away. I just bought this Sprinter last week.

jmoller99
07-10-2015, 08:10 PM
Buy yourself either a ScanGauge II or an UltraGuage EM (or similar tool). These plug into the ODBII port (down around where the left knee of the driver would sit in a NAFTA Sprinter). Set this to monitor at least:

Boost Pressure, MAP Pressure, Intake Air temp and %LOD. If you see your MAP pressure get up around 30 PSI when you are driving, your Turbo is running fine. If you set the Ambient temp sensor to show on your Dash Console (instead of the clock), you can compare the Ambient temp to the Air Intake Temp (this is the temp after the turbo has sent the air thru the intercooler), you should see the temp around 10 degrees higher than Ambient (it could get up to 50+ degrees higher depending on outside air temp - I got high temp differentials when I was in Las Vegas enjoying 110 degree F weather). If you see the same temp at both sensors, you are not getting boost.

Near sea level, I get around 33 PSI MAP maximum. I live at 7,000 feet above sea level, so around home I usually see 25 PSI MAP or less. Depending on your altitude, you may see lower pressure, I suspect you are much nearer sea level than I am.

Its hard to describe what the Turbo should sound like unless you can hear it (I have helped people with other year T1N Sprinters, so, I have an idea what normal sounds like). I think if you can verify the pressures (the MAP pressure tells us a lot), you will know if your Turbo is working or not.

I had a problem with my EGR where boost would be around 17 PSI Peak when it was really wet out (I have had lots of water related bad connections in my Sprinter), but it would return to normal when it dried out (I replaced the EGR - it deals with water a lot better now).

If you have a Hose leak your MAP will be lower. Spits in the hose (minor air leaks) are not uncommon).

%LOD is good to know - it tells you when you have hit peak power (and maybe you will want to downshift to compensate for the transmission not doing as good a job of selecting gears as it could) - When I am towing stuff, I do this a lot, however I often am in the mountains, up to 11,000 feet above sea level. If you exceed 95% LOD, you should probably downshift for a while.

You could be missing insulation in the engine compartment (which might make your Turbo louder to you), or someone may have tossed the Cabin Filter (I've see that done a number of times).

Getting to know what is 'normal' for your Sprinters Turbo system will help you a lot. I can tell you that dealers/service people who don't work much on Sprinters really like to change expensive parts until the problem goes away - they never seem to find the problem, but they make a lot of money (at your expense). The Turbo on the T1N's don't really fail that often as long as the right fluids are used (and you follow maintenance schedules).

There are capable service people who know what to look for and can interpret the obtuse errors that are sometimes thrown (this is a good site to learn about them), but a lot the businesses who orginally sold T1Ns have lost the people who know anything about them. Some places have as much knowledge as your dog might when it comes to trouble shooting things.

ski
07-16-2015, 01:04 AM
I Found the noise it to be the hose going into the Air cooler. Good to go. The Check engine light was still on so I found a garage who was recommended. Coded out to #1 & @5 Glow plugs. He's gonna change them all and put in an updated GP relay module.