tire kicking update

surlyoldbill

I've been keeping an eye on new and used Transit and Promaster prices, as well as Sprinter.

I see that NEW Promaster cargo vans can be purchased off the lot in many places for $25k, and that's the advertised price, no telling how much lower they are after dealing a bit, or how many add-ons you could get for no additional price. Around where I live the sticker is closer to $30k.

Transit base cargo seems to be starting at about $29k, but most are around $33k. Again, this is the advertised price.

Sprinter base cargo at just under $40k. For some reason, there are 2015 Sprinter passenger vans asking for $60k on ebay. The 4x4 is also on ebay for a little under $60k.

Ford has some interesting discounts; $1500 incentive when you use their financing (0.9% for 36 months! 1.9% for 48), and something called a "conquest incentive"; if you currently lease a non-Ford, they give you $750 off. I'm not sure if it is only if you LEASE a non-Ford, but that's what it read. There are other $500 discounts if you are in armed forces, college or the police force, but they don't stack.

Remember, if you equip the ProRam or Transit like a base Sprinter, you add $6000-8000 for the diesel. Similarly equipped, the Transit and Sprinter are basically the same price, and the Promaster is about $5-6k less.

For used vans, I've seen a few Promasters with less than 5000 miles selling for $22k or less. Used Transit is very hard to find, so prices aren't typical, but I've seen a few in the low to mid $30k range. There is one diesel window van (no rear seats) with 41 miles that they are asking less than $34k, and a low roof with 15 miles for $25k (autotrader).

So, my timeline of a 2016-2017 purchase of a low mileage used van looks like I'll be easily spending less than $20k, and I should be able to get $8-10k for my van in California, even though it may have close to 300k on it.

I'm spoiled by the 24-25 mpg, I don't know if I could go down to 16-17 of a gasser without complaining. I just have to remind myself that the extra cost of a diesel buys a lot of fuel, and the maintenance is less costly...but by the time I buy, any bugs may have been exposed and dealt with on the diesels from all manufacturers, and a used diesel might make sense. Especially if it's a Ford 4x4 diesel.

pfflyer

Quote; I just have to remind myself that the extra cost of a diesel buys a lot of fuel.

Granted maint costs are less costly on gas engines and diesel maintenance may out pace the savings I show below but using your examples 24mpg on diesel and 17mpg gas every 1,000 miles you would use 41.67 gal diesel and 58.82 gal gas. You can plug in your local prices but if diesel was $4 a gallon every 1,000 miles it would cost $166.68 and if gas was $3.50 it would cost $205.87 per 1,000 miles. If gas was $1 cheaper at $3.00 a gallon it would still cost $176.46 per 1,000 miles.
If you drive low miles per year that may help with being spoiled at the 24-25mpgs. I only average around 20mpg and if my van had 300k I would be tempted with a gas engine too.

jostalli

The longer you wait the less desirable your Sprinter becomes. More and more cargo van buyers are seeing there are now three solid options. A couple years ago Sprinters in any year even high mileage still commanded a hefty sale price. Those days are over now that used Promasters are available. Get rid of your Sprinter now if you think you can get $10k.

surlyoldbill

Gonna wait until I buy another used van in a few years.
I used to get stopped in parking lots and asked "what is that?", now I get stopped and asked "is that one of the old models? I hear they're better". The T1N has a following, But I think in two years a person would be able to get a promaster for $12-15k with around 75k miles, or a similar transit for $18-22K. That would be my competition for a T1N with 300k. Depending on the long term reliability of either, my van may be the more attractive deal, since it's a fully loaded passenger van with towing package, roof racks, and meticulous records of all parts replaced and at what mileage.

4wheels

An expedited that had 5cyl. Sprinter, just bought a Promaster with a gas engine. After first trip on HWY his words - I should've bought a Sprinter .. His complaints - when empty - it drives ok, once you put some stuff in it - there is no power , it downshift and engine screams at you . He said his Sprinter pulled hills a lot better . Second complaint is that you can see a daylight when rear doors are closed.
:2cents:

mojogoat

An expedited that had 5cyl. Sprinter, just bought a Promaster with a gas engine. After first trip on HWY his words - I should've bought a Sprinter .. His complaints - when empty - it drives ok, once you put some stuff in it - there is no power , it downshift and engine screams at you . He said his Sprinter pulled hills a lot better . Second complaint is that you can see a daylight when rear doors are closed.
The Promaster has much more HP, is rated must faster 0-60 mph, and lighter. I believe the expediter told you that in a dream or needs more fiber in his diet.

The Promaster has much more HP, is rated must faster 0-60 mph, and lighter. I believe the expediter told you that in a dream or needs more fiber in his diet.
I find that my T1N pulls my trailer just fine and seems like it is working less than my previous 5.2L and 5.9L gasser full sized Dodge vans. Diesel torque range is one of the benefits.

I do like my 2.7L diesel Sprinter, but I'm not convinced that I will replace it with another diesel unless I stumble upon a good body T1N.

vic

mendonsy

Our local Fedex has a couple of the Promasters. I asked one of the drivers what he thought of it. His response was basically the same as that expediter. He also said that he will be very surprised if the Promasters hold up for a year at Fedex.

Ciprian

Spark Plugs not allowed!
I think the Sprinter looks the best, followed by the Transit then the ProMaster. We are all different and we like different things. I'm glad we have choices.

mojogoat

$32K for a new 1 ton long high diesel Promaster or $45k or more for a similar sprinter. Is the Sprinter worth over 25% more? How much fuel could you buy with over $12k savings?

hayduke

2005/2006 leisure travel
I was looking at a very RED Winnie Travago yesterday and it had a really nice bicycle rack and roof rack (which I could not see as well)The rather aggressive salesman insisted they were made by Winnebago .Anyone know about that?

Top Bottom